Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: In a jam, pickled, frozen, well preserved and other culinary triumphs

@Shaz51 I really have done very little. I am trying to avoid waste and would like to see a substantial reduction in our grocery bill but just can't seem to get there.

@Former-Member, I'm finding I have to push myself to get it done, more so than in the past. I've realised that I'm reluctant to take on a big job that might take most of a day, even if a lot of that time is half-unattended "simmering". I think that's because too often the "big jobs" get interrupted and sit there half finished. With food prep, that usually translates to "going to waste". Smiley Frustrated

Sooo... I am very grateful that the orange pulp has been accomodating in that sense. Some apples that were mislaid at the back of the pantry... less so. 😛

Thanks for the tag @Shaz51  and hi @Smc @Former-Member @Appleblossom and anyone else here.  I rarely foray onto the carers forum but was a disability carer for 18 years.

My most recent preserving adventure was green pawpaw chutney which turned out really yummy.  We had to cut down a tree that was laden with fruit and didn't want to waste it.  Ended up with about 20 jars to give to lots of my bro and sil's friends.  Even my support workers got some.  Everybody loved it.

I also try to cook enough to have "'tovers" as we call them here.  So often get 3 meals out of one cooking effort.  And it does work out a lot cheaper than making something fresh every day.  My freezer is always full.

@eth, home cooked freezer meals also mean we're less likely to buy takeaway on a busy/tired night. I think last night's sausage casserole cost way less than $5, and made enough for about 7 serves. That's two family meals plus today's lunch for me at 50-70c/serve. (The sausages were reduced to clear, which helped.)

Just handed Hubby a piece of orange cake, saying "We have to get those oranges used up". Oooh how hard. 😛

Smiley Very Happy  @Smc 

Smiley Very Happy @Smc 

Hi @eth ðŸ‘‹ 

Hi @Former-Member  I never see you around.  Are you mostly on the carers' side of the forums?  I'm usually only on the LE side but @Shaz51  tagged me here.  Hope today is starting nicely for you and everyone here.

Another special recipe in our house is making syrup from our cumquats and smothering a baked cheesecake with it.  My brother loves making jam too.  Recently used our lilypillies for one and lemonades from the farm for a marmelade.  Sooooo gooood!

Lillypillies are amazing @eth. 🙂 I love the way that their flavour really comes out when they're cooked. Gentle spicy clove overtones. Mnyumm, cumquats... mine died, gotta try again.

Yes @eth  I am on the carers side mostly, support hubby, he has a working diagnosis is BPii. 

Whilst I enjoy making jam, I don't do so very often as we rarely eat it. I usually end up giving it away. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance