Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Partners who chose to stay for the long haul

I couldn’t agree more. I am in the early stages in this process too. Hubby diagnosed with major depressive disorder early last year after trying to take his life.  He has good support now and engaged in his therapy but yes not sure how much he shares. We are so close to that real story. It has been such a huge learning curve for myself. Exactly what you say eg  that walking on egg shells, what’s the right thing to say or not, trying to provide love and a supportive environment,  trying to self care but at times struggle doing that. You all have been inspiring and simple tips have made some of those bad days ok. Thank you

Hi @pMac and welcome 👋

Welcome @pMac 👋

hello @Determined , @pMac , @Former-Member , @Faith-and-Hope 

hello @pMac , how are you today

@pMac 

Do you have any hobbies/pets that you would like to tell us about?

Thank you for being inclusive. I have a very adorable 8 year old dog. Sir L. He is the apple of our eye and brings a lots of laughter and smiles to me each day. I enjoy bush walking and kayaking and continue to try to get out as much as possible and encourage Hubby to do it too. I am struggling with knowing best to way to cope with each moment. This week has been like walking on eggshells. No matter how I respond or ask a question it he becomes defensive. He is focused on succeeding at returning to part time work but I feel maybe he becoming more isolated. I am taking some time out tomorrow to reset myself and seeking some professional help around setting some boundaries. He is my world so I will do whatever it takes. 

Hi everyone. Sorry for the silence. Life is so busy...living is busy. Awaiting psychiatrist appointment for my Mr. (March) I got a referal to a psycholigist for myself but I'm delaying signing up. I worry it will become so real again. I'm forcing myself to think it seems ok this week, I got this...until I dont. My GP asked me one million questions before giving me the referral. I explained I dont know how to approach his depression, what to say and what not to say. The GP pointed out I dont seem depressed or needeing help (ouch!) I explained it is different if I tell a stranger about it...If I tried to tell my mother or a close friend what I..what we are going through I would be crying before I finish the sentance. Do you feel the same? Like you can lay all out logically to a stranger but as soon as anyone else is involved you fall apart into a mess?

@pMac 

Have tagged you in the dog thread. Your Sir L sounds like a little champion. 😀

@Lisek I think of my counseling sessions a bit like physio, (doing the stretches to avoid injury.) It is well documented that caregivers are susceptible to burn out. 

@Former-Member 

How are things with you? Been thinking of you.

Loved hearing about your trip @Faith-and-Hope.

I cannot see us ever going overseas, I would be terrified Mr Darcy would do/say something inappropriate. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance