Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Snickers1
Casual Contributor

Anxiety ruining my life

Hello. I am after some tips or advice from anyone who experiences anxiety .I already am on treatment for schizophrenia but now I find I can't do.normal every day things which is causing depression.. I can't go into the supermarket . I can't go out to.shopping centers I can't drive far . I can't eat certain foods because I think I'll choke. I always need my phone and car keys in.sight in case of a panic attack. I'm sick of it. It's getting to me. I've had to wait weeks to get into.mental health treatment. And I'm going there this week but I don't know if my anxiety.Will let me. Any advice would be helpful at this stage.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Anxiety ruining my life

Hi @Snickers1, I have bipolar 1 with a long struggle also with anxiety and depression. I was in a particularly bad phase when I joined this forum about three years ago, am in a better place now though still limited by these things in some of the ways you describe.

Improvements for me have come in small steps. For example, just taking that one step out of your comfort zone to go to the mental health meeting.

It gets easier the more small steps you can take. And then some of the anxiety lifts and better feelings happen.

I also tend to give myself recovery time between each significant step outwards that I take. So that I am not so likely to spin into panic.

Also, I am always telling myself to remember to breathe. I often take some deep breaths throughout each day. This helps calm the nerves. Slowing and deepening our breath is one of the best things we can do for our mental and physical health.

Wishing you well, Maz.

Hi @Snickers1

Ok, well back in 1987 my general everyday anxiety hit a peak in a workplace incident. I was off work and intiially told I had a heart attack. But it was a panic attack and a big one. So, I embarked on many a change in my life and lifestyle. Yes, you need to be committed and for the long term. My anxiety was fully gone by 2012- yes, 25 years later! However serious improvements came within a few years. Her eis what I did-

• Therapy. My therapist taught me things I thought I knew but didnt, like being realistic, knowing my thoughts arent realistic (eg imagination), also my "I can save the world attitude to helping others" was way over the top. He also made it clear I should change jobs and highlighted that customer service and law enforcement isnt a good choice.
  • Muscle tensioning exercises are great. Every night before sleeping. The technique is to start at the feet and slowly work your way to your head and face muscles tensioning them for 10-15 seconds then release. At the end tension up all the bodies muscles for 30 seconds. You'll sleep well as your heart rate drops.
  • Short bursts of shopping. In and out. Go to the shop to do your stuff. Leave window shopping until you are well.
  • Learn to laugh
  • Rid your life of toxic people. If they are family, reduce contact subtley.
  • Eat healthy
  • Get a pet
  • Sort out your finances including 2,5, and 10 year goals. If you can do direct debit to reduce bills in the mail
  • Seek out your spirituality

Spirituality. Very important. Time for yourself. Everyone is different in this regard. For my I turned to youtube videos of Maharji Prem Rawat. A very wise man his fame began as a 9yo boy in his Indian village. By 13yo he was on TV. He tours the world.

Google

Maharaji Prem rawat youtube sunset

Maharaji Prem Rawat the perfect instrument

After you've listened to them imagine you ar eon a hill watching a sunset. In fact he recommends you don this. A sunset takes 2 hours to set. So how many of us have done this? start to finish...yet it costs nothing. Same as watching a flower bloom and the beauty of a bee gathering its nectar.

Time for you to stop and smell the roses. You have to reset your mind and its priorities.

Good luck

WK

Thanks for your replies. It was good advice and a relief to hear from people who know what I'm talking about. I will try some of the things you suggested.

Hi @Snickers1,

This sounds very hard. Sorry to hear that you're having to wait so long for treatment. Managing anxiety can be a process of trial and error, experimenting with different techniques and find what works for you. 

You might find some of our blogs and fact sheets on axiety helpful. You can read about there here and here.

Othere members have any more tips?

Hi @Snickers1
Thank you for sharing your story. I wonder if you attended the mental health meeting and how you found it? I do hope you're feeling a little better now. I also have anxiety, but I don't have any advice unfortunately because I'm just learning my coping strategies at the moment.

Hello wedgetail99 ,thanks for asking. I managed to get to my appt with psychiatrist. He thought the anxiety was happening because I was not on.a high enough dose of anti psychotic. So my dose has now increases. I've also.started anti depressants and I'm just waiting for them to work. I'm feeling a bit better now.

@Snickers1 I'm super glad to hear that.

Hopefully everything gets a little easier for you from here 🙂

@Snickers1 Hey mate i was just reading through your thread it was odd for me to read as i have an anxiety disorder OCD and one of my fears was turning schizophrenic ( not so much now) try not to react to your anxiety it will make it worse as soon as you react the anxiety wins then you start a mental spiral don’t avoid any situations that trigger your anxiety either that makes it worse atleast it does with OCD i just wish i could take my own advice hahah you just have to remind yourself that nothing bad will happen if you take on your anxiety 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance