Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ocean
Contributor

ADHD and PTSD diagnosis.

So within a year and combination of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) with a psychologist , checking in with my amazingly attentive GP for anxious symptoms and a psychiatrist to assess what my GP suspected was adult (undiagnosed as a child ADHD) I have been suprised to know I’m living with ptsd (still) as thought I had overcome this 10 years or just under ago, and have ADHD (which after the long processes and my own self internal processing ) are feeling relieved I now know and understand as a 48 year old why my processing as a child and adult seemed like a constant struggle for me. (That is putting it mildly as I am currently working with the psychologist learning all about how my brain processes and how to manage and make things in my life better and more relaxed going about my everyday ). 

we will then begin eye movement desensitisation response (EMDR) therapy eventually to manage the PTSD that had been triggered again a couple years ago from another event and I didn’t recognise or know my symptoms were again of PTSD (but once it was highlighted by the therapist and I could understand the sympathetic nerves and vagus nerve reactions , ). So I am doing a lot of work towards managing the brain I guess . I’m in a much better place and beginning to feel empowered that I can be in control of what I felt was making me powerless and at times out of control with anxious symptoms. @@PTSD @ADHD. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: ADHD and PTSD diagnosis.

HI there @ocean ,

Thanks for sharing this with us.

It's so good to hear that you have an amazing GP.

All the best with therapy and we look forward to hearing how you go with it all.

See you around on the forums!

Hey @ocean , 

I was diagnosed with PTSD in 2018 which was later revised to cPTSD. Last year I was given the diagnosis of combined ADHD at nearly 30. I have been on such a long journey with many misdiagnoses on the path trying to figure out my brain, how to work with it and just exist with a shred of peace in my life. 

At the present, I am in weekly therapy and sometimes I am proud of the effort being made and other times I feel like I will be stuck stagnant forever. Good work on feeling empowered, reading your post gave me some hope that one day I may reach that stage. 

Good luck with your EMDR, I really hope it gets you the results! 

Thank you so much for sharing this with me and
I can relate to the at times feeling stagnant while other times doing all the work and making some progress , I am excited with the ADHD diagnosis now as it was to me unexpected (I had always been slightly inattentive and majorly hyperactive all my life ,but also have always worked and managed to run a busy household of husband and kids ) so I sort of didn’t believe I fit the “box” so to speak of having that … but I see it now and with this knowing are applying it to my therapy strategies and testing thinking things through , the medication has slowed me down a lot so are adjusting to that part as I am used to running like I have a motor from the second I wake up and that is how I’ve learnt to manage .. so being slowed down will take some time to be used to. A work in motion as I’m sure you can relate.

Thank you so much for your post 😊

I can completely understand the positive feeling of being diagnosed. I always was different and struggled to put my finger on how or why I was not the same with dealing with life. Although I am successful (have a degree, and a career, am a single mum, and maintain a household with my toddler's chaos) I struggled every step of the way and couldn't understand how people made it look so easy. Finding out that my brain is actually different and it's not just my perception was a HUGE relief. I actually had happy tears hahah which sounds so silly. 

That does sound like it will take a bit of time to adjust, sometimes I think the only way I make it through the day is due to the hyperactivity and I have been worried if I start medication I won't keep my current lifestyle under control. 

I love that you called it a work in motion. I journal frequently and on the template each week it has "I am..." and the last month it has consistently been "a work in progress." 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance