Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Employment for Bipolar Disorder Type 1

Thank you. Any information you have and experience on mental illness in the workplace. Can always add it to my talks or my web page.

@HenryX thank you for those tips. Still trying to find my way around this site. I cant find for the life of me where to write a new post? Where do I go to

@Lilaca. any help would be great help. I am looking for stories that people have had in the workplace regarding their own mental illness. Have you had any experiences?

@Jlb 

Hello Jib,

You are aware of the "Reply" to a Post on a thread, as you have done when posting your request for the process of how to "write a new post".

To start a new Discussion under a Major Topic heading:

1. Hover over (but do not click) the “Peer Support” heading at the top of the page

2. On the drop-down banner, left-click on “Lived Experience Forum”

3. Scroll down the “Lived Experience Forum” page to the headings below the “Forum Topics” heading

4. Left-click on the “Welcome & getting started” heading

5. Toward the bottom of the page, Left-click the “New Discussion” bubble.

6. You are now at the “New Message” page.

7. To start a new Discussion topic enter your desired “Subject” heading in its box, then enter your message in the message box headed “Body”.

If you wish to search already existing Discussion Topic headings in threads such as:

Re: Let`s talk about Bipolar

• enter the word “Bipolar” (or whatever heading may be of interest to you) into the “Search Box” of the “Lived Experience Forum” page, {item 2. above},

• which will give you the list of Discussion Topic Headings for the subject that you have entered.

Another way of searching for Discussion Topic Headings is to

• go to the bottom of the “Lived Experience Forum” page, where

• you will find Major Topic Headings in Topic bubbles.

• Selecting any of these will bring up a page with the Discussion Topic Headings under the word ”Tags” of “Lived Experience Forum discussions tagged with....(the Topic tag of the bubble that you selected.)”

To see the page that holds the latest posts on all subjects being discussed, left-click on the word "New", just to the right of Guidelines & Info toward the top right of any forum page.

I hope that these guidelines help. Unfortunately, I do believe that many people have the same issues with finding their way around this forum. Consequently, I think that we may lose people before they have really even started. That is why I mention my early difficulties to new members, to reassure them, that any difficulty is not just their's. Their questions are very reasonable.

If anyone else reading this thread can offer suggestions of more straight forward ways to achieve these objectives, I would be pleased to hear of them.

@Jlb, please, do let me know if I might be able to offer any other assistance.

With Best Wishes

HenryX

CC:  @Lilaca @frog @Always-hope @Mazarita 

@Jlb 

I'll get back to you soon. Smiley Happy Are you after a short story?

I am sure there are many others who are happy to contribute too. Smiley Happy

@Lilaca 

Yes a short story would be great of any bad experience in the workplace you have had.

Thanks

Hi @Jlb,

Sure thing. Give me a few days and get back to you soon! Smiley Happy 

Hi @Jlb ,

Apologies this comes a bit late, but this post is for you. Hope you find it helpful. Smiley Happy

Hello, I don't have bipolar but several members of my family do. I have severe PTSD, which is also extremely crippling. From what I understand of bipolar, from family experience, this is what I would do. Firstly, I would write down what my strengths and skills are. Remember that your lived experience with a medical problem is actually a strength, and a profound strength at that. Be honest when you brain-storm ideas. I would also write down a list of jobs that I would love to do, dreaming big and small. I would probably think about any training or upgrading of skills that might be needed. Following that, I would speak to my doctor or a trustworthy psychologist or my psychiatrist, or all three to get their bent and ideas on things. And following that, I would go to an employment agency who help people with disabilities or mental health problems to feel out a way forward. If you don't have the NDIS, it might be a good idea to apply because they can give you a qualified series of professionals to support you in your endeavours. I not only have really bad mental health problems, but I have severe physical injuries as well. If you are in the same boat as me, with physical injuries, it might take a bit more work to get things sorted. I know, from family experience, how tough bipolar is. If you have family and friends who are capable of supporting you, now is the time to ask for their support. If you don't have anyone much then I recommend asking all the services I have just mentioned for as much help as they can give you. I haven't been in paid work for a number of years myself and my physical injuries have gotten worse. I have had to re-evaluate how I can earn money. I have just asked the NDIS to help me get my first book published and to help me sell my design work. This has given me hope and my injuries are really bad. I hope my long-awaited response to you helps. I am here to talk with you anytime.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance