Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Summer_Solstice
New Contributor

I'm not sure whether I have DID

So, I've come here for help with an issue that has made me really anxious for the past couple of months. It would probably help to give a background on me and the situation so I'll start with that.

I grew up with a mother with undiagnosed scitzophenia for the first 16 years of my life (she is currently diagnosed, I believe she has some other diagnosises but i'm unsure of what because we have minimal contact now). This, in short, fucked me up. Along with a whole host of things such as bullying, but that definitely was the kicker.

I was unsure what was real for a long time, and I can remember vaugely that she thought she was being spied on by various sources, and would do certain things to "through them off the trail". She was also in a doomsday cult and practically raised me at their "church" until I was 12 I think. My dad wasn't really there for me until I was proabably 10, and since then has come though as an exelent parent and has supported me alot. She was very verbally abusive, and moderately physically, but she would always gaslight me about it, to the point I didn't know what was real.

So recently I realised that I don't remember alot of the abuse that went on, only vauge feelings. And whole years of my childhood are completely blank, with sparse moments of thoughts or sensations. I honestly don't know if that's normal or not. To give an example, I was telling my dad where I remember living, and I skipped a house that we where living in for 3 years because I honestly don't remember living there, only meantions of the house after the fact. A bit more worrying is that, looking back on the situation that finally got me to move out of my mum's care and into dad's, I distinctly don't remember the argument that led up to me packing my bag and leaving. the only thing I can remember is standing on the curb and waiting for my dad to pick me up (is that normal? I would have been 16). I can't remember fighting with my mum at all, only the aftermath and a few choice moments of physical abuse. 

Onto the DID. In years past I have had two very distinct voices in my head that I thought were my 'inner monolouge' One is very self distructive and judgemental, and the other has surfaced in recent years since I've sought therapy, who kind of acts as the "voice of reason", and tells me to do certain things to try and improve my mood. I have always heard her as a posh british sort of voice, and the judgemental one as a sort of raspy sneering one.
recently I fell down a rabbit hole of DID youtubers, and related to alot of things they were saying, though convinced that I don't have the disorder. Then the voice of reason sort of poped up and started to tell me that maybe I was wrong? That perhaps I might have DID? But I've been in therapy for years and no one has picked up on anything. Then I started to notice lost time, only small incriments, and I can remember snippets of things, mostly feelings but nothing as vivid as what I REMEMBER.

But I don't know. I think I might be making this up. I tend to get very invested in my current 'fad', and I'm so scared that I'm just imagining the voice, or that I'm mistaking my inner monologe for a real and life changing disorder. I don't want to bring it up with my phsycologist because I don't want to look like I'm latching onto a disorder that I don't have. I'm scared I'm just pretending to remember or misremember things, to fit myself into this narritive when I have no right to. I'm in two minds (pardon the pun)The voice of Judgement (who I've started to refer to as Scorn) says that I'm making this up for attention, just like the other mental disorders I have. The voice of reason (who I've started refering to as Holly) says that She's tried to protect me, and that I should bring it up to someone at least to see what an outside source thinks. I've never brought up the voices to my phsycologist, because I've just thought of them as my inner monologe.

Thanks for reading this mess of a post. I was good for me to get all my worries into words I think.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: I'm not sure whether I have DID

@Summer_Solstice  I think many people have an angel and devil voice inside them..... I can’t tell you what you do or don’t have but maybe talking to a professional might give you some clarity. 

Re: I'm not sure whether I have DID

Hi @Summer_Solstice 👋🏻 and welcome to the forum. 

It sounds like you had a rough upbringing but have had the amazing support of you dad. I can't comment on the diagnosis and don't have those experiences but I can relate to your thoughts of what is real or what might be connecting something together like say the voices to a diagnosis. I was miss diagnosed for quite a long time and I identified with the initial diagnosis and would find traits to connect those dots. Sometimes though I was unsure about it as well because I couldn't always connect the dots. 

Sooooo the thing that stood out from reading your post is that perhaps you let your psychologist read the above post or articulate those very things of uncertainty. It seems like you have lots of insight and by questioning it all is a positive thing. Your psychologist should be able to work through it without putting a label / diagnosis on until you both feel comfortable with it. Even now I ask my psych about a trait/ behaviour that I'm not certain about but need to know and understand if it is part of my diagnosis or not. It helps me lots to understand what parts are my diagnosis and what parts are me. 

I hope you find the forum helpful and are able to work through this with your psychologist. Best wishes 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance