Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Curlym
Casual Contributor

working with schiophenia

Currently I'm not working and have being diagnosed with schizophenia. I'm required to look for jobs since i didn't go to a doctor to get a medical certficate by choice. But now I'm struggling with it since I don't think i can work since i'm tired all the time and can't get to sleep at strict times. (i basically go to bed at times when I'm tired and wake up when i'm awake) and I'm sleeping upwards of 12 hours a day. What should I do in this situation? I hate going to the doctor and asking them for a medical certificate and i feel i should be working but just unable to do it on a consistant basis. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: working with schiophenia

hi why can't you get the disability pension for?

also. how come none of the sane staff are replying to any new posts?

@Curlym  Hi Curlym and welcome to the forums. As @soppykat  has suggested a dsp would be the way to start then you could gradually start working and increasing your hours whilst still earning some kind of income. I am up all night and sleep most of the day. I have schizoaffective disorder. Be kind to yourself remember baby steps and you will get there. greenpeax

How do you get DSP? I went to a psychiatrist here in australia and it cost me $300 and they wouldn't work with me to get a decrease in medication. I'm not doing that again because I haven't got any money. Was on a similar walfare payment in new zealand. I'm australian citzen.

@Curlym hi, I have been on dsp for a number of years.  Things may have changed since, so please check out my advice with the right people.  What you need to do is go into Centrelink and get them to provide you with the forms you need.  When I applied, I had to go on Sickness Allowance for a couple of years and after that, it switched over to a Disability Support Pension.  If things havent changed too much, you would then need to take it to your gp and get them to fill in a section and take it back to Centrelink.  They will probably contact you and ask you to visit one of the shrinks for an assessment.  Based on your gp/shrinks report and their shrinks report, they will determine if you go on the dsp.  Btw, if you have family who take care of you on a daily basis, they can apply for a Carers Allowance.  Goodluck.

Hi @soppykat 

I wonder if there were any posts in particular that you were hoping a moderator might respond to? If you want to ensure that a moderator responds to a thread/post just be sure to include an @Former-Member in your post. Equally, members who'd like some additional support on forums-related matters can also use the email address: team@saneforums.org

Cheers,

ok ty 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance