Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi there SANE community 👋

This fortnight we will be welcoming one of SANE's Peer Ambassadors talking about their experiences of Employment and Mental Health.

For those who recently attended the Peer Group Chat, this discussion will be building on some of the discussions that were had there!

Employment an Mental Health TT_June 2021.png

Employment and Mental Health

Employment and work when living with complex mental health concerns can be a big part of recovery and wellbeing for many people. But, for many others there are barriers to finding mentally healthy workplaces. Looking after our wellbeing at work and maintaining a work life balance are important aspects of supporting our overall wellbeing. 

Disclosing lived experience in the workplace

Disclosing lived experience can be a big step in the workplace. The response from employers and colleagues when we disclose lived experience or caring responsibilies can have a big toll on wellbeing. So, how can we empower ourselves to have crucial conversations about wellbeing in the workplace? How can we find allies who will support us? And how can we identify mentally healthy workplaces?

This discussion might help to prepare you to enter the workforce in future, support you to have conversations about mental health in your workplace, find an ally and explore mentally healthy workplace cultures. 

Please join us here on Tuesday the 8th of June 2021 from 7:00pm-8:30pm AEST to follow this conversation. 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

141 REPLIES 141

Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi everyone, 

We are about to get started in 25 minutes 🙂 Tagging everyone who supported this discussion so far

@Rebel @Shaz51 @Isla-22 @VRB @BlueBay @Franke @StuF @HollyHobby @Lilaca @Former-Member @Snowie @Appleblossom @Zoe7 @Former-Member @Tinsel @chibam @Adge @Bearmum @Emelia8 

Hope to see you here soon! 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Also tagging members who are online at the moment in case you are interested in joining in 🙂 

@Anya11 @Bill16 @Fluttershy1 @Determined @Eve7 @HardWork @Keep__Going @Meowmy @Rebel @Schitzo @ShiningStar @Snowie @StuF @TAB @Flying_Hams 

Hi Forums Community and welcome to Topic Tuesday! 

This discussion builds on a topic from one of our recent Online Peer Group Chats and will talk about all things employment and mental health.

Tonight we are joined by @Ultravox who is one of SANE’s amazing Peer Ambassadors here to share his experience of employment, disclosure of mental health in the workplace and mentally healthy workplaces.

I will have over to @Ultravox to introduce yourself. 

For the community: Please feel free to introduce yourself and let us know what you are most interested to get out of the discussion tonight?

If you are feeling distress at any time during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the forums and talk to other members, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

@Daisydreamer 
Sorry, my night has been all disrupted. Nothing bad, but I'll miss most of this 😞

Will check back later 🙂

My name is Matt. I have worked for over 17 years in the mental health sector in a variety of different roles including mental health promotion, outreach support, peer work, Carer respite and as a family and carers worker. My current role is as a Student Wellbeing Officer in the TAFE sector. I was drawn to working in the mental health sector due to my own experience of mental ill health (Bipolar II) and recovery. I am passionate about mental health promotion and the importance that early intervention / prevention can make in helping a person in their unique and individual journey to recovery from mental illness. I believe in empowering  individuals  to develop self-belief, confidence and hope for a meaningful life despite their mental health challenges. I recognise the importance of education in helping a person to stay well and that we can all learn something new from each other. I have been a sessional teacher in the Diploma of Mental Health at TAFE in Melbourne and also volunteer as a Peer Ambassador for SANE Australia and are the Vice President and committee member of the organisation Bipolar Life.

Prior to working in the mental health sector, I worked in various customer service roles for about 10 years in the banking, general insurance and travel industries as well as travelling extensively in Europe to over 20 countries.

Hi @StuF, thanks for checking in to let us know- you are more than welcome to check back in at a later time

Your employment journey has taken you to lots of different industries and roles @Ultravox! Looking forward to hearing more about what that journey has been like to navigate while also juggling mental health concerns.

hello @Daisydreamer@Ultravox Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance