Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Sorry I’m late everyone. I work in health and my late husband was a lawyer. Both stressful jobs.

My workplace swings between toxic and full of fun. Our current manager has been supportive of me but I honestly think he has mh issues too.

When work is going well we go out for lunches and celebrate occasions such as birthdays, biggest morning tea etc.

Currently I work closely with NDIS which adds to my stress levels. I had most of last year off on LSL when I was in hospital and next to no one at work knows.

I hope my rant is not off track.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Adge Qualifying for Disability Employment Services can be a big challenge for people living with complex mental health concerns. Similar to you, I know lots of people who have been able to access this for physical health reasons and found it more challenging with to access for mental health

@Eve7 I've used LSL for MH recovery time too. It doesn't seem fair but it's a good safety net.

Work related stress is a big problem for many people. These days it should be better considered in the workplace

@Daisydreamer wrote:

Question 5: For everyone following this discussion tonight, what are some of the attributes of a mentally healthy workplace?

Loyalty. Friendship (ideally even Love). Laughter. Happiness. Fun. Accomplishment. Good Memories.

If "mental health" is all about sincerely believing the notion that being alive is better then being dead, and that suicide is a poor choice, then a "mentally healthy workplace" should be an environment that firmly corroborates that notion.

It should be a place that makes it's employees feel: "If being alive means getting to live out my days in this scenario, then I am all on board for living out a full, natural lifespan! This place is great! I am very well served to remain here!"

We are coming to the end of our discussion tonight, and I want to extend a huge thank you to all those who have joined us @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Zoe7 @TAB @Snowie @BlueBay @Rebel @chibam @Bill16 @Adge, and to all those reading along. 

To our amazing guest, @Ultravox, we are so grateful you could be here tonight and share your experiences with us. Your knowledge from all your combined working experiences, and your openness to sharing your learnings with us has been so valuable. I have loved exploring topics like disclosure of lived experience and workplace wellbeing with you! On behalf of all of us here on the forums, a big thank you 🙂 

That brings our discussion to a close. This topic is one that is so important and is relevant in so many members live. If you want to continue this discussion on the forums, we would encourage you to make a new post and keep the discussion about employment and mental health going. 

Next fortnight we will be talking about the NDIS- stay tuned for more information!

More work is needed in teacher wellbeing and mental health Zoe7. Teachers after all are a very important resource to students who are our future. The federal government do run the Be You whole of school approach in regards to mental health promotion which has training, resources for teachers, students and parents.

https://beyou.edu.au

Yes @Daisydreamer Employment Services Assessment for Disability Employment Service Access - Was a big challenge.

Especially after having been Declined/ Rejected from NDIS only 2 weeks before that.

DES Dr paid far more attention to my chronic bowel condition - due to 4 major Bowel Surgeries, & Digestive dysfunction - than they paid attention to (or considered) my CPTSD, which is listed as a Permanent condition.

Adge

I have been involved in the BeYou program but our school is not at present @Ultravox Hoping to change that in the future as part of my role in our school's wellbeing team 👍

Thank you @Ultravox @Daisydreamer and everyone else for a great discussion this evening 😁

Hi @Eve7, and thank you for stopping by! I hope you will be able to read back over the discussion tonight 🙂 You will find lots of members here who can relate from what we have heard on the discussion tonight
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance