Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

Thank you for joining us! So glad you could make it, and thank you for sharing your journey 🙂  @AuDHDpug 

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

Hello @yitty 

It can be tough however there are mechanisms via the NDIS that can assist with these issues. If your son has a psychosocial disability he may be eligible for support coordination and plan management. 

Have a look at this:

https://www.ndis.gov.au/participants/using-your-plan/who-can-help-start-your-plan/support-coordinati...

G'day, 

From recollection, i joined the NDIS when i was an LAC (2015 if memory serves) - it took me a while 😄 @greenspace 

He has a Support Coordinator. I find the system clunky, staffed by poorly trained people and goals are ignored 

@AuDHDpug 

It's difficult to comment with too much information however what i would say is that i know and have seen many people with this exact disability and type receive funding. The issue lies with the evidence - strong evidence from a psychiatrist, psychologist, GP or OT regarding level of functioning can assist with avoiding rejection and receiving appropriate funding. 

Not sure how to ask a question - hopefully I have this right. I have been trying to apply for NDIS unsuccessfully for a few years now. It went to the AAT but the first conference was adjourned as the NDIA wanted to better equip themselves to take me on ( I had them spinning, lol). I was advised by the mediator that I need to now get representation as it will get tricky from now on, but after months of calling every advocate I can find (30-50 different organisations), I have had no success. I have had 2 reschedule 2 conferences already due to not being able to get representation/an advocate. What can I do to get one? Feeling quite desperate!

@yitty I can relate to that. Sorry you find the NDIS distressing. I often do too. I'm an NDIS participant with psychosocial disability, and I used to be a carer for my mum (she had dementia). It is tough being a carer while dealing with your own mental health struggles

@Wazzlord wrote:

The NDIS (National Disability Scheme) is a federal government initiative to fund the disability needs of Australians. The NDIS aims to assist those with a permanent and significant disability as defined:

- A 'permanent disability' means a person's disability is likely to be lifelong.

- A 'significant disability' means a disability with a large impact on a person's ability to complete everyday activities.

This includes mental health (psychosocial disability) issues which are noted as ongoing and effecting a persons life in some way.

Interesting.

"Psychosocial" is a word I've been trying to pin down a meaningful definition for for years now.

So essentially, "psychosocial disability" is just another phrase for "mental illness"?

Thanks so much @Wazzlord
And you are right, that is the common thread that I seem to see with that kind of feedback, in that the individual has been prompted to provide further evidence.

In your experience, do you recommend that individuals seek out a support coordinator to assist with the NDIS application rather than attempting to complete on their own?

The NDIS is a funding program and federal agency meant to support people with a disability to cope and to improve their participation in society.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance