Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Pipkin
Senior Contributor

Conversion disorder / functional neurological disorder

I am wondering how common conversion disorder is in response to trauma.  I was initially presenting as though I had had a stroke, but it is now confirmed to be conversion disorder as it keeps flaring up in response to triggers.

no one seems to know anything about this, and I have never heard of anyone else also having this.

the freeze response in trauma ....  It is hard as I can become completely paralysed and not able to move

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Conversion disorder / functional neurological disorder

If you dont mind the questions-   Do you have any other symptoms?

Is the paralysis one sided or both?

Are the triggers emotional or are they related to certain food,hunger,temperature changes or something else related?

Have you had your thyroid levels checked and your potassium levels?

Do you have any gastro-type symptoms?

Personally i believe "conversion disorder" is a diagnose often given when doctors don't know what the cause of the patients unusual symptoms are.To me it seems like the modern day equivalent of the 1950's diagnosis of Hysteria...

Its interesting that doctors seem to give female patients this diagnosis more then male patients....but perhaps there are genuine instances of conversion disorder.

Main symptoms, left side weakness, unable to move.
Flares up in response to triggers related to workplace trauma. Had lots of tests, everything is normal.
Clearly a response to trauma and trauma triggers. Neurologists call it functional neurological disorder as the trauma affects the functioning of the nervous system, and psychologists call it conversion disorder, convert trauma into a body response.

Well if you believe its a conversion disorder you know your body best.

Perhaps you could find a psychologist who works in this area?

It would be difficult to live with a partial stroke. 

Perhaps Dystonia Australia can help reccommend someone.

I havent heard much about it, but oddly enough have been researching Akathisia and various focal dystonias, regarding my own motor issues which have played out in many different ways over the years and are all still somewhat present. 

Hi @Pipkin

I've just seen your post and it is from a long time ago but if you are still struggling with this, I would recommend visiting the FND Australia website. They have some helpful information and a list of professionals who understand this condition better than most.

Mum8

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance