Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Rover
Contributor

Does my daughter have Schizophrenia?

Hi, this is my first post and I would love some advice. Yesterday I finally begged my daughter to have coffee with me after not having seen her for about 10 months (she moved out of home about 18mths ago because we had a fight over her use of pot and money she owed). Anyway she wanted to meet in a car park and when we finally met she gave me a hug and then hopped in my car and told me to drive. She kept looking around like we were being watched. We finally found somewhere to have a coffee and after about 30 minutes of catching up and meaningless talk she started sobbing and told me that she might have placed me in danger by meeting with me. She then told me that the Freemasons controlled the world and her world. She said she was a 'targeted person' and that she was being watched and followed everywhere. She said they keep hacking her phones and her emails. She even said they read her mind. She thinks she may have a chip implanted somewhere. She doesn't watch tv because they put messages in the ads. The police, big businesses and politicians are all part of 'them'. When I suggested a docter she said that's what they want us targets to do - they push us until we think we are crazy then go to a doctor and get told that you have schizophrenia or bipola. But she said that's part of the plan - the doctors are in on the conspiracy and there is no such thing as these diseases. She told me to never drink tap water and that they had put poison in her food on two ocassions. Then she said sometimes she feels like harming herself. I am so distraught and don't know how to help her - she won't tell me where she lives!

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Does my daughter have Schizophrenia?

Depending on where you live, there are voices groups all over Australia and other types of peer support groups. Thus is a tough one as ideally you would like to see her get some help with working through her thoughts, as they are not ordinary...
Keep your life news of communication open and check out what @Justanother47yearold has written on strategies with her son..

Hi @Alessandra1992 

Do you have a link to the thread where @PeppiPatty talks about those strategies.

I'm not sure where to find them... (or maybe @PeppiPatty could comment here too 🙂 )

Thanks 🙂

Dear Rover,

1:Good for you for seeing her and contacting this forum.

2. your daughters reality is what she is describing to you and To be honest, happily surprised how she can trust you to her reality and that is what it is.
Her reality.

the best you can do, without knowledge is to stay calm and after listening to her, you can answer in two different ways.

Option one :
Oh, that doesn't sound like normal talk, Do you think it's normal talk?

what can you do about it?

Or, option 2

Oh, wow that's an interesting story. It's not my reality though and though this is not what I see, can you tell me more about it?

If she is talking harming or suicide, you need to contact the police or even better, the state Emergency Psychiatric team. in my state, WA, is called merhl. but also, unfortunately,the other option is to call the police where she will be taken to a Psychiatric hospital or psychiatric ward in a hospital and assessed.

there are many different paths that you can take. You can freak out, cut her off and wait.

You can answer her in option 1 which I advise and because she is over 18, if she is threatening harm, you can ask for her address and call the Psychiatric emergency mental health team to her address. Or call give her name and see if they can get hold of her address.

YOu can ask her to go to the GP ......just for a chat ,.....no big deal. Remember to stay calm.

So, this situation is scary for yourself but she is living it. It is her reality. If it's a drug induced Psychosis, she may need medication to take regularly

I have a good relationship with my oldest son. I flew over to visit him and did the option 1 talk.

I told him that he had two paths to take. If he took the one path of taking his medication.....this is what he could expect and if he took the easier path of not taking the medication... He could expect different things.

When I left him he chose to see a psychiatrist and up his work. He has also decided not to speak to me and I haven't spoken to him in about 3 months but my youngest son keeps me updated.

My advice comes from reading, visiting my friends, ex husband in hospitals and through Volunteer work. THe people I have read is Peter Bullimore, some others I can't think of right now. I have made huge bad mistakes. My journey is ridden with broken glass but Rover, all you do is stand up and keep on going.

Your daughter needs to learn how to manage herself.

Already you have taken steps which others do not do.

Thanks for reading. You can be someone who can make a positive difference :0)

Wise words @PeppiPatty !
Rover, very hard time for you right now but rest assured people do get well, it may take some time.
Other books to read are titles by Ron Coleman and many others listed on voices Vic site.
Also, great YouTube tedtalk by Eleanor Longren or Longden. The dr who hears voices..
Young woman, inspirational journey with .voices
@NikNik may be able to post YouTube link ?

You sure can 🙂

I know someone who follows Ron Coleman and spent some time with him with really positive results. allesandra1992, you are wealth of information :0)

Allesandra1992, I put my embroidery in picture on my images but because I'm slightly slow working out how to send an image of it !! Ille try now!!

Thankyou, you have given me some great advice and food for thought. It is good just to  know  I am not alone  in this battle:)

Thank you

And hopefully neither is your daughter.. Take care..
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance