Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

justanotherguy
Senior Contributor

Neighbour obsessed with conspiracy theories

Hi,

Just posting as I am concerned about my neighbour. She likes to play audiobooks out loud so that others can hear them, but lately she has been replaying the same conspiracy theory content over and over again. Normally Dan Brown, Matthew Reilly and that kind of thing. This content has very strange ideas about religion, governments, and that kind of thing. I have had to ask her not to play the more violent content, but she responded by saying she doesn't want me talking to her anymore. I know she has a problem with mental issues, she likes to isolate herself and does not talk so much with others in our rental units. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with someone like this before?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Neighbour obsessed with conspiracy theories

Oh wow @justanotherguy , what an interesting and annoying predicament! While I haven't had a neighbour who plays conspiracy theories I have had a really annoying neighbour who played loud music from about 12pm onwards almost every day. Thankfully they were renting and all of the other neighbours as well as myself, complained to the landlords. Eventually they got sick of hearing our complaints and their lease was not renewed. I don't suppose you are lucky enough that they your neighbour is renting?  I mean she is disturbing the peace isn't she? If you can hear  her audiobooks!

Hi @hanami , I would feel really mean if I complained about her, she has a lot of mental and physical issues, and she gets some family support which I think is good for her. If she did move I'm not sure where she would live, I would hate to make someone homeless. I don't even know her parents, none of them talk to the rest of us, so I'm not sure how to approach them.

That's fair enough @justanotherguy . Totally understand that.

Hi @justanotherguy,

From my experience neighbours can make your life great or make your life really challenging. It does sound like your neighbour may be doing this to get a rise out of you or perhaps they want you to hear the conspiracy theories they're into. Either way it doesn't seem okay that you are subjected to this constantly. Is there a landlord, body corporate or somebody else that you could speak to about this? It's not like you didn't try and reach out and ask her to stop so I think you are in your rights to ask someone that is in a position that can help you to do so.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon.

FloatingFeather

Hi @FloatingFeather , it's hard when you meet someone with real mental problems, she lives in her own world most of the time, needs constant support and does not want to get along with most people. Yes, I think she is being deliberately annoying which is even more sad as it doesn't need to happen.

It's like whenever you identify as having a 'mental illness', the flying monkeys all come out of the woodwork and make your life terrible. Considering I'm not that unwell it's kind of annoying to be treated like trash by people with nothing better to do (my neighbour appears well enough to cause trouble all around her but can't seem to be well enough to do any actual work).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance