Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Not Coping

Whenever I had these thoughts, my psychologist would work with me to 'get acquainted' with the discomfort. I hate this strategy.

So I'd sit there, and he would ask me questions:

1) where do you feel it?

2) how heavy is it?

3) what colour is it?

4) what texture is it?

etc.

I'd sit there and cringe - I didn't care what it looked like or what colour it was, I just wanted it GONE!

However, i just obliged and did what he said. After practicing this skill every week, I realised that the technique gave me distance between when I was feeling and reality.... I was no longer 'fused' with my emotion... and I learnt to sit with it.

Whatever this technique does, it seems to work - but requires practice...

Mmm okay I’m cringing as well thinking about it but I will give it ago. Thanks @tyme 

You may need a therapist to help you at first...

I honestly cringed at this thought. I really HATED doing it..

The ultimate effect is 'defusion'. https://thepsychologygroup.com/defusion/

You can have a read if you are interested. 

So my technique is one of the many ways to defuse @Birdofparadise8 

I'm actually impressed that you are even wiling to give it a go! If I heard such I thing back then, I'd laugh and brush it off.

Good on you for giving things a go!

Thank you I will try anything as what I’m doing now isn’t working so I’ll have to give it a go. @tyme 

Sorry for jumping in @Birdofparadise8.

I did try this when @tyme suggested it to me and I went to bed and thought it through. I did feel pretty odd. The next night it was still there but I felt it was a lighter colour and a smoother shape. 

But I have to be honest I did forget about doing it after that. 

Not problem at all @Captain24 I will take any advice I can get. I will give it a go tonight and then ask my psychologist about it when I see him Thursday. 

How are you @Captain24 

I’m not doing overly well @Birdofparadise8. But it doesn’t really matter. I’m starting to get use to it. 

Hope you are starting to feel a little

more at ease

Sorry to hear that @Captain24 I definitely know what you mean about getting used to it. It feels like the new normal if you get what I mean. 

I’m not either but oh well. We can all support each other to get better. 

Yep it’s my new normal @Birdofparadise8. Some days I don’t know if I’ll ever get better. 
I really hope for you that you will get a much better new normal! 

Thank you I hope you can improve and enjoy the season after this one is over. @Captain24 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance