Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Yipoet
Casual Contributor

Supporting a friend experiencing a psychotic episode

I'm supporting a friend who I believe is currently experiencing a psychotic episode. She hasn't eaten or slept properly in over a week. I know some of her current beliefs are untrue and she doesn't sound like herself. She's been under extreme stress lately.

She has cut ties with her romantic partner and other friends, and I'm the only person she's speaking to at the moment. Her best friend called 000 to try to get her admitted to a mental health ward, but my friend 'passed' the mental health assessment. She is still able to present very well (she was a practising clinical psychologist). Her psychiatrist has never seen her face-to-face and didn't notice anything was wrong in the tele-consult. She currently lives in another state.

I'm very concerned she will get worse without care. I do not believe she will attempt suicide (intentionally). I can't fly to see her soon because I have a young baby. Sometimes she acknowledges that she's currently unwell, but mostly she tells me that she's 'the best she's ever been' and 'finally happy'. My plan is to continue communicating with her each day as a loving friend and have food delivered to her. On Monday, I'll try to gently encourage her to present at ED and admit herself voluntarily to a mental health ward. I don't want her to block me too.

I'd be grateful for any other ideas you might have. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Supporting a friend experiencing a psychotic episode

Hi @Yipoet,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us. 

I just finished reading your post and wanted to say what a lovely friend you are. Your concern and support of your friend is a testament to what type of person you are. From what you are saying your friend's situation does sound a bit concerning. They often say (when it comes to doctors for instance that they often make the hardest patients because they know the system). It sounds like as your friend was a practising clinical psychologist this maybe the case here too.

It  sounds like the way you are currently engaging with your friend is the best way to go. If your friend has disengaged with a lot of other people that were in their life I think it's really important that the connections left remain in place (particularly when you are not in a position to see your friend in person). I also agree with what you say around treading carefully so your friend doesn't block you. Would you know / be in a position to contact your friend's GP? Perhaps you could give the GP some insight into your concerns. Not so much that their GP would approach things in an obvious way but more keep on eye on them and gently question around things?

Having a close family member who has a complex mental health diagnosis (diagnosed many years ago) I remember how hard it was to get them support as they also didn't want it initially. I understand how frustrating and hard it can be but unfortunately unless someone is willing to voluntarily seek help it seems almost impossible to get them to seek mental health support. 

I'm wondering that as your friend was a practising clinical psychologist could be a reason they wont seek support (e.g. afraid of being judged by peers, knows the system etc).

I really wish you and your friend well. She is lucky to have you 🙂.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather

Reading the above and response.

If you betray confidence and any other thing on any level, your friend will most likely have more to deal with than she has currently AND this could be to her detriment. Something she'll never forget and more that would require help for. Do not go behind her back. Additionally, if it is manageable in different ways, that is betterthan jeopardising her career..aka, her life and possibly the only positive aspect she might have? Who knows. That's why you need to remain upfront and listen.

The so called mental health system, or support is flawed. I can substantiate that, though it seems very extensive. They've DEFINITELY ruined my life, as have psychologists and powers meant to rein them in. Unless you understand what you are doing, you can be doing real harm.

Dear FloatingFeather, thank you for taking the time to write such an empathetic, supportive and helpful response. It was very helpful during an incredibly stressful time and I really appreciated it. Thank you for all your work on this forum, it helps so many people.

Dear ToniC, thank you for this message. I totally agree it's important not to betray someone's confidence and I don't want to make things any worse for my friend. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had positive experiences with the mental health system. 

Hi @ToniC @FloatingFeather , the messages above are for you from @Yipoet .

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance