Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Supporting a partner in a crisis

No @Former-Member she does not get home until Thursday, then she is on her own, I just hope if a crisis happens I can keep her safe, 

@Jacques

Does your partner have  a treatment and safety plan? On discharge there is usually a review of this and what follow up has been arranged. 

You mentioned 3 avenues of supports that are no longer there - what are these and can alternatives be found? If they can would your partner be amenable to utilising them?

I think as caregivers we need to be very aware that our loved ones, often when unwell, will push away or decline support, then find there is a long wait to get back in.  @Shaz51 is experienced with this.

hi @Former-Member

no all her treatment team are pulling out, no psychologist or psychiatrist, no support councillors, they are offering her a 1 day a week cleaner to help with the housework. which she does not need. im currently searching for mental health services but htey all charge or you can only get 10 appointments a year, there are no free services. the one she had was a free service so she could see them when she needed too

@Jacques

There are two documents you might want to peruse,  I do not know if either will help you,  but believe neither have any references to home cleaning services.

"Mental Health Statement of Rights and Responsibilities" and "National Standards for Mental Health Services"

Links to both on this page:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/mental-pubs

There will also be more information on your partner's state/territory mental health website which may or may not have information about discharge from services.

Checking in @Jacques

@Zorro been wondering how you have been getting on too.

hi @Former-Member sorry i have taken so long to get back to you, i have been really tired and out of it, thinks seem to be going ok, we are trying to find another treating team for my partner, and if not i will take over more responsibility, i have been struggling to really focus on anything because of lack of sleep, im still walking every day which i am proud of. 

my garden is going great, so i am really pleased. thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me and for caring so much, i really appreciate it.

@Jacques

Some psychologists bulk bill with a mental health care plan. If you google "bulk billing psychologist" in the area your partner lives.  Even if felt inadequate, 10 sessions are better than none. 

PS Am impressed that you are keeping up with your walking @Jacques

Who knows, one day you might be spotted moon walking.😁😁😁

keeping up with your walking @Jacques, way to go my friend xx

hello @Former-Member, @Zorro

thank you so much @Former-Member and @Shaz51 yes, im still making a real effort to walk, even on most days when i don't want to, i know there are bulk bill services we have look into that @Former-Member but she needs crisis support, the service she was with had a full treating team all she had to do was book an appointment. 

we will keep looking, there are few services out there for people with complex mental illness, neither of us have done well finding help that we so desperately need.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance