Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

@MyLife_MyWay 

Thats a very complex question - advocacy services for disability related issues are available in various forms - my first suggestion would be looking at Disability Advocacy NSW (https://www.da.org.au/) to better advise. 

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

Hi Im a new contributor - hope I can follow!

I'm a Queer person with a permanent disability (currently also motor-impaired with an injury so typing is tricky and slow), lived & carer experience, also a MH First Aider, Therapeutic Arts Counsellor, looking to apply for NDIS, also seeking employment.

@Wazzlord I am in Victoria, but I have literally contact somewhere between 30 and 50 organisations, each of them around 2 or 3 times each. I can't even get onto a waitlist!

Thank you for joining us!! @NBB Great to have you with us tonight reading along 🙂

@chibam 

Its a bit interchangeable - essential a mental health issue or mental illness as you have termed it is the diagnosis, e.g. Major Depressive Disorder. The psycho-social disability comes from the impairment of such a diagnosis. The NDIS will be looking at the impairment from the diagnosis when considering assistance. 

Our next question is ...

What is the process of determining eligibility for & access to NDIS? What ‘evidence’ might I need? 

@Wazzlord 

@JaneyC do you mean unable to access the NDIS?

A test for eligibility for the NDIS can be found at: https://www.ndis.gov.au/applying-access-ndis/am-i-eligible

There are requirements for:
- age (7-65 for the main scheme).

- residency (citizen, permanent resident or special category visa holder).

- disability requirements (a permanent and significant disability noted as requiring support).

TYVMuch!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance