Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

ExhaustedCarer
Contributor

Can you get Centrelink if you haven’t done tax in ages?

So, family member I support is bad at paperwork but so am I! It’s the bad at paperwork/ life admin leading the bad at paperwork/life admin. All I know is that I desperately need to help family member to get the pension. Her medication bill is (if I worked this out correctly) $7200 a year! She lives off a modest inheritance and has no income(!) and has accrued debts/bills associated with low executive function/poor mental health (eg currently grappling with a $16k water bill- a story for another time!!). Anyway, family member hasn’t done tax for over a decade and we’re both freaking out about how much this impacts access to Centrelink. I know we can sort the tax in the next few months but in the meantime I want family member on the pension ASAP. Do we need to do the tax first? Any advice/thoughts welcome 🙂 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can you get Centrelink if you haven’t done tax in ages?

Hi @ExhaustedCarer,

Sounds like you and your family member have a lot on your plate at the moment and I can imagine things might feel a bit overwhelming for you both. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge regarding tax returns and/or Centrelink payments but there are free financial counsellors available that may be able to guide you. 

For instance, looking at the Australian Financial Security Authority website (an Australian Government department) anyone that is in financial difficulty can call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007. The free hotline is open from 9:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday. Their website states that financial counsellors offer free, independent and confidential services. Hope this is of some help. 

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather

Hi @ExhaustedCarer 

I can back up exactly what @FloatingFeather says above about accessing financial counselling is your best place to start.

I used to work in administrative support for one of these services. They are often run by large charities, such as St Vinnies, Uniting etc and are free to access and provide a really excellent service. They can advocate for vulberable account holders with utility companies and the like, in setting up a financial hardship payment plan. They also have lots of knowledge about centrelink and the ATO, and I'm certain they will advise you of the correct starting point to get the ball rolling and stop the financial situation spiralling out of control.

Some places to start are:

www.vincentcare.org.au
www.missionaustralia.com.au
www.salvos.org.au
www.wesleymission.org.au
www.bsl.org.au
www.unitingkildonan.org.au
www.ndh.org.au
www.financialcounsellingaustralia.org.au
www.fcan.com.au

Thank you both so much! I’ll make a phone call tomorrow 🙂 thank you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance