Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

ladyluck12345
New Contributor

Schzophrenia/ BPD

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and for any help/ direction you can provide. 

My partners mother, was diagnosed with Schizophrenia/ BPD 20 years ago and has been on and off medications for years. She goes through stages of being functional however has recently hurt her foot at work and hasn't been working for 6 weeks - workcover has recently been approved however she's at home all day and has turned to alcohol. We are currently paying for accommodation. Yesterday we went to visit mother after concerning messages and found that she isn't showering, cleaning, ect and is not well. She's currently hallucinating and in a manic episode. My partner is on the way over and determining weather we need to call the CAT team. 

This post isn't about help regarding what to do right now, we've been here before and know what to do now. It's the long term plan we're not sure about. 

This rollercoaster of functional and then not is frequent. We want to put supports in place so that she can have the best chance of living a full life.

Where/ Who can we go to for a long term plan? We have 0 idea who her GP is or if she has one, what medications she is supposed to be taking or when. We're very much so kept in the dark until a crisis arrives.

What can the family do in terms of assisting her get help if she refuses? 

Are there in home services that we can access for her or pay to assist us help her?

We feel as though she would greatly benefit from someone checking in frequently so that before she completely goes off the rails we can intervene. 

We're looking at accommodation options her closer to us.

We have a 6 month old baby so living with us isn't an option. 

It's difficult at the moment as she can't work and when she doesn't have a 'purpose' her condition exacerbates. 

Thank you for your time and suggestions. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Schzophrenia/ BPD

Hi @ladyluck12345 ,

Thank you for sharing what has been happening lately. 

It sounds like that she does require extra support. I believe the schizophrenia is the main condition a mental health team will look at. I believe the questions you have asked here is definitely something you can ask the CAT team. 

It sounds like she may benefit from case management. However, this will be dependent on the MH team's assessment. 

BPD will definitely be a secondary condition which may not even get a look at while things are so acute.

Fingers crossed, an acute care team will be able to guide you in the right direction. That's what it was for me. A case manager linked me in with services including respite care etc.

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance