Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

GREAT response from my doctor.

I had an appointment with my doctor.

It was meant to be over the phone, but I came in just in case she couldn't call me.

I talked to her about what happened on Sunday. She looked at my discharge papers, and said I'm lucky to be alive. The fact that I'm bigger really helped.

Yes, my affinity for pizza and burgers saved my life 😂.

I talked to her about the feelings that brought me to that point. It's the first time she's seen me cry.

She said that one of my problems is that I don't confide in my professionals enough. She got me to make an appointment with two different counsellors. I was surprised that she wanted me to speak to both, but she goes "it's good to get as much perspective as you can."

She also recommended the ACT. I thought it was just going to be one interview, but apparently they do like four sessions with you, and then they're going to report to her.

Towards the end, I said "yeah, but no-one who tries to help me can understand what I'm going through."

She goes "they don't have to, though. Most obstetricians and gynacologists are men, so they are OBVIOUSLY not going to relate, but they can still help you!"

Touche 😂.

She made another appointment with me, two weeks from now.

That was really productive, to help me refocus. It sounds like I am going to be pretty busy over the next two weeks, but I'm kind of looking forward to it.

1 REPLY 1

Re: GREAT response from my doctor.

I’m so glad that your doctor had such an empathetic response to you. I like her analogy about the gynos still being able to help.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance