Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Goal setting for people recovering with MI

Hello All,

I'm still in the middle of treatment and find setting goals incredibly difficult, I work on a weekly or even daily / hourly basis depending how I feel.

How can you set SMART goals when every day is still a battle? I would like to improve my diet, start exercising and meditate, but sometimes I get nothing done all week 😞 and the I feel even worse.

Any suggestions? How do you do it?
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Goal setting for people recovering with MI

Hi @Former-Member

re Goal setting for people recovering with MI 

I think start off small that way your more likely to succeed

Diet: I am not sure what your diet is like or if you have any specific health needs

But I would start off small- when I changed my diet say for incidence( I eat a turkey and salad roll and choc chip cookie) To change my diet I would just cut out the choc chip cookie

Exercise: Start off small and slowly build up your strength and stamina and conditioning.

Hi @Former-Member,

I agree Oceangirl73 the key is to start small and replace them with things you like or can potentially do anywhere ie I wanted to start practicing mindfulness but i am alwayssss running late or trying to do too much so never find the time to spend. what I did is start with a 2minute exercise that i printed and put in my car and in my wallet so I can do it when i arrive somewhere (if i am one time 🙂 ) or when i have a coffee break etc This has allowed me the flexibilty to do it each day when it suits me. everyone is different but my 2c is about the importance of it being small and flexible.

what do others think?

Hi @Former-Member and @Fancy_Pants

Thank you for your ideas.

I used to plan my year, what I wanted to achieve at which point in time.... that is currently not possible and I agree with your suggestions of small changes.

So I have set myself general areas of improvement like being more active, eating more healthy etc. and then at the beginning of the week I can make choices how I would like to improve each area in that week.

Slow and steady. Baby steps.

@Former-Member
I never try to change more than one tiny thing at a time. When I try to do more I inevitably end up being disappointed.

Just an example I stopped adding sugar to good or drink and I left it at judt that for 2 to 4 weeks before I made any other small change.

I find that when my list is too long - more than one thing I can't manage to change anything.

Great to see you back! 😃💕

@Former-Member. Wanting to eat healthier. Who ever does the grocery shopping - buys more vegies - more leafy greens - more seeds, nuts, grains.
Look up simple recipes - 3 ingredients type of thing. Or just make lots of salads.
I want to exercise more. For me this means walking. So I head up to the mountains and do a walk before I meditate.
I'd love someone to come with me and help keep me motivated.
Do you have someone like that you could rely on? At least temporarily - until the exercise becomes a healthy habit.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance