Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Anyone started with the NDIS?

I'm glad you found that post @CheerBear

Posting it again here now in case anyone can use it :

NDIS PLANNING MEETING QUESTIONS

LAC planner starts with introduction, role, purpose of visit, invitation to take breaks where needed, can come back another time if too distressful
Starts with following questions:
Participant statement
Goals?
How to achieve them?
Tell me who you live with?
Describe a normal day? 
What time do you wake up?
Do you go out?
Where do you go?
With whom?
How do you get there?

Uses laptop with pre-populated questions from NDIA
Following questions are for all types of disabilities 5-65 years, some questions may not be appropriate for individual but are to be asked anyway.

Do you have any trouble standing for 30 mins?
Do you have any trouble attending to house responsibilities?
Do you have any trouble learning new tasks?
Do you have any trouble attending community activities?
Do you have any trouble with your emotional health?
Do you have any trouble concentrating for 10 mins or more?
Do you have any trouble Walking 1km or more?
Do you have any trouble washing/bathing yourself?
Do you have any trouble dressing and grooming?
Do you have any trouble speaking with people you don’t know?
Do you have any trouble maintaining friends?
Do you have any trouble managing day to day activities?
Do you have any trouble managing day to day tasks in the last 30 days? (how many?)
Anything you couldn’t do in the last 30 days?
What level of schooling did you complete?
Any post schooling study?
Do you live alone/ with others?
Public/private rental or owned?
Are you employed? 
How long since employed?
Are you looking for work?

Income Questions
What type of income do you receive?

Do you require support with…..
Educational studies?
Do/have you any compensation claims?
Are you able to choose who helps you?
Are you able to choose what you want to do?
Who makes the decisions for you?
Are you able to advocate for yourself?
Do you want more choice and control over your life?
Do you require support with domestic and community tasks?
Do you require support with personal care?
Do you require support with travel and transport?
Do you require support to communicate with others?
Do you require support with getting out of the house?
Does the support you receive meet your needs?
Would you like to get out more?
Do you require support with finances and money?
Do you require support with reading and writing?
Do you require support with accessing and using technology?
Do you require support with self-advocacy and participation?
Do you require support with increasing activities of daily living?
Are you able to call someone if you need help?
Are you happy with how often you see family/friends?
Do you care for others?
Do you have any friends outside of support services?

Are you happy with your home environment?
Where do you see yourself living in 5 years time?
Do you feel safe where you currently live?
How would you describe your current health? (excellent/good/fair/poor)
Do you have regular G.P?
Do you experience problems accessing health care services?
Have you been in hospital in the last 12 months? How often?
Do you feel safe in the community?
Do you have the opportunities to learn new things?
Do you want to access education, training or develop new skills?
In the last 12 months has there been any opportunity to learn new skills that you weren’t able to attend?
Do you spend your free time doing the things you want?
Do you volunteer anywhere or have any community connections (cultural/religious/disability)?
How often do you have a say in the supports you receive?

Family Questionnaire
Do you have a guardian?
Do you receive help planning supports?
Who would you like to help you with planning of supports?

(THIS IS WHERE LAC PLANNER INTRODUCES SUPPORT CONNECTION, SUPPORT COORDINATION AND HOW FUNDING OPTIONS- NDIA, SHARED, SELF-FUNDED)
- Not obligated to make a decision on the day. Can inform LAC planner when they call back a few days later before sending plan to NDIA
Do you worry about people taking money from you?
Do you need help managing money?
Do you receive a mobility allowance?
Have you ever declare bankruptcy?
If you choose to self-manage can you anticipate any problems that may arise?
Is your current disability as the result of an accident?

Do you agree to sharing your plan online with providers? (personal details, NDIS number)
Who would you like to share it with? 
Do you currently use aids or equipment?
Do you think you might need assistance aids in the future?
Do you use any continence products?
Are you a recent school leaver?
Do you want to work?
Do you have any worries with anger?

LAC planner then reads NDIS disclaimer statement talking about reasonable and necessary requests, mainstream, formal/informal and community supports.

Are you receiving help now?
Who are you receiving it from?
How often/how many hours per week? (have this figure before the plan meeting)

Support worker is given the opportunity to speak about support provided. Some useful tips is to include:
How long consumer been with service
How often/hours per week (include travel, case-notes, phone calls, coordinating supports etc)
Areas of current support (any assessments/reports you have eg: psych assessment; if you have an ABI you could provide a psy/neuro assessment; if you have an OT assessment you could provide this etc)
Advocate that current support is minimum consumer requires to maintain wellbeing, ask for more

LAC Planner
What do you want?
Outline goals?
How often/hours per week?
Summary of goals
LAC planner advises a report shall be written and a follow up phone call to consumer 3-5 days later to discuss plan goals, check if correct, request to add more to plan, plan sent to NDIA for approval. 
Send through any additional evidence not provided at planning meeting before LAC planner completes report
Once NDIA approved Consumer shall be sent a letter informing them of outcome, before LAC is even aware
Consumer asked if plan wants to be shared with providers? (YES if you want SP to be aware of what’s happening, otherwise you can choose how much or little you share with a SP)
*Ask for LAC planners email and phone number*

That list is great @eth @CheerBear

Just what i need cause i wasn't sure what to say or get for them, my 11yr old son has had NDIS since it started in 2016 and i found that his was so much easier at renewal times, 

but I've found ours cause its under mental health was so much harder, it got knocked back but ive put in a review.

Have another meeting with my coordinator of supports this morning at 10.  Hoping it leaves me feeling something's actually been achieved.  She did find a couple of support workers that can alternate early Sunday afternoons but they don't start for 3 weeks.  Need to do a meet and greet with them before then.  Plus I've had contact with another 3 support workers on Hireup, but none is available for this week's appointments.  Also need to do a meet and greet with each of them and then an induction with anyone I decide to go with.

I signed my first service agreement yesterday (worth over $15K). I am now signed up for 28 days of respite. It was kind of scary going through the service agreement, as I had noone to look it over with me, it was just me and the service provider.

Well done with planning your respite @Queenie and signing your service agreement.  Big milestones for you.

I have a meet and greet with a support worker and my coordinator of supports today.  Hoping I feel good about working with her.

So the support worker I met on Friday seems ok - I'll give her a try.  But she can only do every 2nd Sunday afternoon starting 9 september.  Not a very useful time slot.  So I still don't have anyone lined up between now and then.  

CoS is bringing someone from another organisation to do an intake assessment on Wednesday - jumping through more hoops before I can actually have a support person on a regular week day timeslot.  But this org says they will allocate 1 worker, not different people all the time.  That's important to me.  Also, the org is mental health specific which is good.  

I can't plan activities until I know when support workers are available.  

Have been getting more withdrawn since my old sw stopped coming.  I found her through another org than the one I met her through and she will do my dental ap'ts with me from late September (4 out of 5 of them anyway).  Still waiting to hear from her regarding if and when she is available on a weekly basis.

This process is soooooooooooooo sloooooooow.  I've had my plan since 11 July and am not using it to it's potential yet.

Yesterday CoS brought a guy from a support organisation to do an intake assessment here at home.  Pretty sure it went well.  I'm glad I had printed my safety plan and goals from my profile with another org coz I was able to photocopy them for both here yesterday  which really simplified the process.  

He said he should be able to have someone working with me in 2-3 weeks.  So it's still another case of 'hurry up and wait' but at least I'm in their system now.

Plus it turns out the org. is not mental health specific which I thought it was.

@saturnzoon I hope the review of your mental health plan goes well.  

Smiley Happy

@Queenie Takes courage to manage it by yourself. wtg.

Smiley Happy

@eth Glad the plan and sepecific workers is taking shape for you. Its been a long slog.

Smiley Happy

Most of my life, I have been thrust into new situations and had to sink or swim.

This thread has helped me prepare for this change. Thanks all.

Smiley Happy

I'm really glad this thread is helping you @Appleblossom.  Hope upon hope that it helps some folk get through the application to acceptance journey with less complications than I had.  

Lodged a booking this morning on HireUp for a support worker tomorrow afternoon.  I found my old PHaMs worker on there so it will be her - nice to have someone I know.  But she's only available at random times so I have a couple of other organisations that will do regular weekly stuff with me soon.  One of them starts on Sunday.  And about time too - I've had my NDIS plan since early July.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance