Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Purple22
New Contributor

BPD and relationships

Hi everyone I’m a newly diagnosed person with BPD. I do not meet all of the criteria for BPD and I have been told I have it mildly but it is still effecting me immensely. I am extremely sensitive depressed and anxious about this diagnosis and I am set to start DBT in one month. I am looking for some relief from the stress and constant fear. I am so afraid I will never find a loving partner who understands me enough to want to stick around. Has anyone else experienced this before and do you have any advice 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: BPD and relationships

Hey @Purple22 Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear that your new diagnosis has left you feeling sensitive, depressed and anxious. It can be a lot to take in, be kind to yourself and give yourself the time to process it. Sometimes it can be validating to know what you're dealing with so you get the support that you need but I can understand it feeling distressing also. There are lots of others here who have lived experience of similar so I'll let them jump in @BPDSurvivor. Please take care.

Greetings friend. It is common to be afraid of something unknown, particularly when we consider it could affect our lifestyle and potentially our future. But, do not be overly concerned.. calm is found in the knowledge that if you, yourself, state that you do not fit "all the criteria",.. well, could be something far more trivial and somewhat temporary, being effectively psychological. And BPD, when treated and maintained is really not a biggy. Depending on which.. seems possible 3.. no panic,.. means you need lots of love. Brilliant. 😉

Have you been advised as to which category? You state depression ensuing and stress/paranoia.. Too many questions, but I'm curious, only to assist.

Geez, I remember, after many, many years being diagnosed schizophrenic. I thought back on my life and just cried. I have a strict check on it, now I know it exists. But, I've always appreciated the ample opinions, annoying or not..  so. 😁

Seriously though, don't stress too much mate, you're still awesome.

Wow. Found myself back in lock-up with blokes that need amusement and an ear. Except on a digital page. 😎 Must be a good day bro, apart from the stated upset. Care to chat? Abuse me if necessary. Cheers... 👍

Hey @Purple22 ,

I just wanted to pop in to say hi. 

I’ve got a diagnosis of BPD. I met most of the criteria and struggled immensely for many years. It was a very dark time in my life and I always felt BPD robbed me of my teenage years and my early adulthood. 

Moving forward a few years, when I was ready for treatment, it took about 3 years for things to really change. I had MBT treatment twice a week, saw a psychologist once a week, had a peer worker and a psychosocial support worker. At that time, I was also case managed due to having many hospital admissions.

Like I said, when the time was right, I saw so much change in me. 

Today, I absolutely love life. I feel like I’m making up for all the lost time. I realised that BPD had been such a huge teacher for me and without it, I wouldn’t be ther person I am today. I can honestly say that I’ve moved from constant anxiety, depression, hate for life, to absolutely embracing the BPD life.

It’s an incredible experience and as you work on your recovery, you’ll realise you become a much better person.

Im living proof that recovery is possible. Things don’t have to stay as they are.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance