Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Weirdo_loner
New Contributor

Disenfranchised with GPs providing adequate help

Diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder and Depression previously (about 10 years ago). I have crippling paranoia and anxiety. I feel the Mental health ward in my hospital makes me sicker being around sick people and I don't like being around people ( anxiety and paranoia). The mental health clinic discharged me a few years ago to my GP. He is useless and often doesn't seem to care about my illness just tells me to go to the hospital if I'm worried about it. He doesn't even fill my scripts. My illness has progressively increased intensity and I can't interact in public with being totally stressed out and anxious. I thought maybe someone here might be able to help point me in a direction. It's a daily struggle and my mask is worn out. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Disenfranchised with GPs providing adequate help

Are you able to find a different GP? Lots of people in rural areas have no choice. But if others are available, then that would be best

@Weirdo_loner 

I think of myself similarly to your profile name.  Schizoaffective disorder is probably the best label to fit me ... but my pdoc of 5 years is not sure... I am very weird.

Usually, the best way to manage long term MH challenges in our current system... is have a Gp (for referrals and basics), a psychiatrist (for meds), and a counsellor/therpist/psychologist (for talk).

Gps are actually not allowed to write all MH scripts ... there are limits set on the level ... or frequency they prescribe.

This week I have just found a new doctor with whom I had a good rapport and so am changing.  I put up with a lot s**t frankly, and tolerate a lot of incompetence and rudeness in system and finally getting cannier about getting my needs met.  Tonight I was looking in old diary (2 yrs ago) and saw that I had noted how upset I was with this Gp and I still perservered til last week!  We are so very vulnerable when seeking health care, it takes a while to figure out when it is not working and can be hard setting up new relationship again.

You deserve to have the 3 pronged MH team approach.  Go to another Gp doctor and ask for a referrals to psychiatrist and counsellor if you want ...etc.  If they are not too bad, then stick with them.  Take them one at a time.  

I have tried recommendations and my son has tried onliine reviews etc.  Sorry it seem trial and error is best for me ...

Take Care

Apple

Yeah my gp is a tosser 

I'm so sorry to hear this @Weirdo_loner .

It must be so hard to be in that place where it seems you can't get much support. As @DogMan79 mentioned, are you able to find a more suitable GP?

You deserve to be heard and cared about.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance