Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: New member

Hello everyone,this has been a difficult year for me. I've been caring for my chronically ill husband for 15 years .  I reconnected with a counsellor in February, and the people within that organisation have walked beside me since then: through my deep depression and other mental health issues. I am due for a medication review this Thursday and am rather anxious. I am also hyper-alert due to a number of childhood traumas, so am trying to control my anxiety through deep breathing exercises and relaxation.  I feel that I am turning a corner in relation to my mood and self-confidence. I am now able to do some things around the house again, after not being able to for so much time (I also work full-time). I am sooo grateful for being given a second chance. I appreciate the chance to connect with others who struggle with their mental health issues as so many people don't know what it's like.

Welcome to the forums @NatalieS .... 🌷

There is a wide circle of experiences here, and people from all walks of life.  It sounds like you have had long carer struggles as well as your own mental health challenges .... not easy at all .... but it's wonderful to hear about your progress and achievements .... so encouraging too.

We walk along with each other here.  Pleased to meet you.

Thanks, Faith-and-Hope, for the warm welcome. There's so many of us struggling day-to-day with our mental health issues...I know that sometimes I feel totally CRAZY and out-of-control and sooo anxious...and yet, for those special people that I've told about this year's struggles have been surprised and amazed because they've perceived me as someone in control and who's always cool, calm and collected. I guess that's half true as put me in a crisis situation where other people are concerned and I'm confident and in charge and do what needs to be done. However, this year, I haven't been able to do anything for myself....well, not until the last couple of weeks, anyway. I've had sessions with my counsellor, who I feel comfortable with, where I haven't been able to look at him or converse with him, my anxiety has been so high. But that's months ago now and I am feeling more content, so I can only hope that this continues. This journey has been two steps forward and one step back...my mental health has been so fragile, so I need to be more aware of what it is that I need at any time and to look after myself...but it is extremely difficult.

I hear you @NatalieS, and it is so difficult, but so worthwhile .... try to set it as something on your to-do list every day in some sort of practical way .... even if is just a coffee in some sunny or shady spot in your garden .... and if that gets pushed aside for some reason, put something else in there ....

I am arty, so I have taken to painting my nails artistically.  It's not something I have taken the time (or expense) to do before, but it is a little bit of cheerfulness on the days when the issue I can't solve impacts the hardest ....

🌷💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance