Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Bumblebee1
New Contributor

Panic attacks vs. chronic illness

Hi everyone! It’s great to have found a safe space like this forum.

I have had Generalised Anxiety Disorder for some time, since I was 17, when I had my first panic attack. It was related to performance at school and it got worse after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at 24. You get really weird symptoms that cross over with panic attacks and so often I get stressed not knowing if I’m having an “episode” or flare or just a panic attack or if there is something else wrong with my health. 

I have been going to therapy monthly for 5 years and I am way better than I was, I used to be in the ER with severe panic, but lately I’ve had daily panic attacks return. I try my best to continue to live my life as normally as possible and not become home bound but I’m so exhausted lately that sometimes I give up the fight and return home like I am now.

I would love to connect with people who also struggle with physical health and mental health issues and those who have improved frequent panic attacks. I was inspired to write this post after reading about @Bananatron and your story of epilepsy and panic. 

thanks so much for reading this, even if you don’t reply, it means a lot to be heard 💗

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Panic attacks vs. chronic illness

Hi @Bumblebee1 

Great to have you here and thank you for posting on the Forums!

Panic attacks can be really overwhelming and you demonstrate your resilience by being able to talk about your experiences and being vulnerable on the Forums. 

I get anxiety at times and it's usually caused by ruminating and racing thoughts about something I have done or with another person. I find that talking about it with a phone support or crisis line helps me overcome the overwhelming thoughts. I also really resonate with the wave analogy if you have hear of that before Riding the Wave: DBT and Distress Tolerance - Erika's Lighthouse (erikaslighthouse.org).

It can be really challenging to keep going at times but I see that you have the strength in you to push through!

Thank you again for posting here on the Forums! Stay in touch 🙂

Take care

RiverSeal 

Re: Panic attacks vs. chronic illness

@Bumblebee1 Your situation must be tough to cope with, I am sorry to hear your story. I have Crohn's disease and spinal injury and surgery issues/pain together with general/obsessional anxiety and also bouts of depression. I don't have specific panic attacks as such, but it sounds horrible! I empathise with you and I wish I had a solution for you!! Just know that you are heard and even if our situations are not exactly the same, it is still good to reach out and connect. I am new to this forum (less than a week) so am still finding my way around, but I hope you get more support and encouragement here 🙂

Take extra good care and am happy to connect if you think it would be helpful to you. I hope your panic attacks reduce in intensity and frequency.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance