Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: isolated and very lonely

I have a habit of having a different viewpoint to others on so many things, @seven1164., but it doesn't stop me from expressing them.

On this point I would say forget the self-help books on loneliness!!  Join your local library where borrowing is free, and there is such an array of books on travel, history, craft, cookery, photography, gardening, and a myriad of other subjects.  Find what interests you and grow!  Become learned.  It beats lonely - hands down.

I joined the library when my family broke down and it became a place where I could be among people.  That is how lonely and isolated I was.  Sad, I know - but, as with so many things in life, one thing led to another.  I started to wander among the shelves - never having been interested before - and stumbled across subjects of interest to me.  History to start with, and I studied all the monarchs of England in succession - which was timely because, within a few years I was travelling there on my first overseas trip.

Libraries are FREE!  Use the money you save from not having to buy books to save for an overseas holiday when the restrictions lift - in a year or two - if that would be of interest to you.  Or whatever else takes your fancy.  Save.  Save.  Save.  And watch your money grow.  I learnt to utilize every money saving trick I could find and squirreled away enough money for my first trip in 21 months.  (I am a pension recipient and pay half in rent alone). When I got there - United Kingdom, I was  steeped in knowledge about English history which enabled me to make the utmost of my holiday.  Find YOUR goal.  Stop with the loneliness caper.  Me too!  We have to find a way out of this hole - not make a study of it!  Turn this liability into an asset.  It's not loneliness - it's wasted time!!  Put it to good use.  One thing which is never wasted is furthering our knowledge base on any and all subjects.

Sending best wishes.

EDIT:  Have just read more posts.  Sorry - it seems that you may be a library patron already?  I'm only half reading at the moment - too much to think about and in a rush.  So just make of my post as is of benefit to you.  If nothing - just disregard it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance