Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

sora_xcx
New Contributor

struggling with ‘addiction’

Hi everyone, 

I’m new to this but wanted to share something that’s been on my mind for a while. I’m certain I’m a kleptomaniac and it’s something I’ve wanted to recover from for the longest time as it’s caused issues for my family and partner. I got caught for the first time today and that was the biggest wake up call, I’m lucky the store decided to not press charges but I know something has to be done. The only thing is, I’m not too sure what type of help I need or if there is any ways to get over it. If anyone has faced this issue and gotten over it or has any general advice, that would be great. 

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Re: struggling with ‘addiction’

Hey @sora_xcx welcome to the forums. Hope you find this space to be warm, welcoming, and supportive for you. Just a quick note - we have a post with some tips & tricks for new members, feel free to check it out. 

It sounds like this has been something you've been struggling with for a while, and it's really starting to impact you quite intensely. I applaud you for taking the initiative to reach out for some support. In my experience, pretty much every time someone is struggling with addiction (whether it is drugs, gambling, shopping, or stealing) it stems from a desire to find external sources of emotional regulation. In other words, when our emotional experience becomes too overwelming, we may seek out ways to make the emotions go away, or at least less intense. 

The best way to address any kind of addiction is to seek out some professional support, from a therapist, support group, or mental health program. Have you ever seen a therapist? The best way to kick start this process is usually to see your GP, and ask for a referral to a relevant mental health support (as well as asking for a mental health care plan too, so your sessions can be rebated by Medicare). 

Some other options to explore might be Turning Point and Smart Recovery

You can also look at finding ways to learn how to regulate your emotions, or maybe even look into urge surfing (TW: this article refers to self-harm, though I imagine the basic principles are still applicable) to help you whenever the urge to steal arises. 

Hope this helps you as you begin your recovery journey 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance