Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Help with ADHD

Hi @Former-Member. I went through an adult ADHD psychiatrist whose main practice was Adult ADHD. Not sure if this helps. I was mid 40s when I did. My son had just been diagnosed at 16 with ADHD. I realised I had much of it. I don't have the H though more ADD. If you google it there is a fair bit on Adult ADHD. It was really scary at the time. I couldn't complete the testing because I needed over $1000 of psychological testing before they will treat you with medication for it and I couldn't afford it but matched many of the criteria from the testing the psychiatrist did. I then had my breakdown 4 weeks later so haven't been back. My anti d now are those suited to ADHD and they help with some things re focus a bit better than before but this depends on my mood and how well I am. Some anti d I've been told to avoid for making ADHD symptoms worse. I hope this helps. 😊😄
Former-Member
Not applicable

Oops meant to be 😊💜
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you @Former-Member. Yes I'm a little confused was add, as opposed to adhd is. I'll Google. Um sorry I'm not following what you mean about anti d? Are you referring to meds that can't be mentioned? P.s. I hope you are doing a bit better. I was worried, but didn't want to overload with more to the equation. I really felt wow, you just don't know how hard some people are doing. I think I tend to cry help when I've tried to manage for a long time alone. I'm starting to keep on the forum more. It helps. I was otherwise very disassociated with the world, other than my immediate circle.
Former-Member
Not applicable

It is now called ADHD regardless if you have the hyperactivity. But for me is easier to say ADD because people dont get confused when they see me at snail pace, opposite to you😜 Anti d being me being slack and not writing anti depressant. I get the forum helping connect us and it has been lovely to see you around more. I always enjoy reading your posts too. I'm still having time away for now as I'm really not well but this was an ok post for me to jump in on. Take care 😊💜
Former-Member
Not applicable

Oops didn't tag you for above post @Former-Member
Former-Member
Not applicable

😊 aha I see. Gosh all the labels. Makes you wonder doesn't it! That makes sense what you say.Quite interesting. I do recall one of the anti d's (ha, I like that!) made me feel angry. Definitely wasn't the one for me. I stayed on two years but then found the mix with alcohol made me feel suicidal. I weaned myself off, & never went back. My partner feels I need a sleeping aid, as I sometimes sleep maybe 3 hours & feel fine. I often get exhausted, but it doesn't stop me physically. I think I'm good at masks. But when you forget to pick kids up, or turn up for appointments late, early, forget stuff...umm who knows what people think!! I'm glad you can post a little. I like hearing your thoughts too. Big hug ❤
Former-Member
Not applicable

Whoops @Former-Member!! ( above!)
Former-Member
Not applicable

My journey, hope it helps

Every morning taking ADHD Medication as soon as I wake & getting up n' ready for the day is 50% of the battle won already!

Some very helpful thing's I've found:

- Mindfulness
Headspace app on playstore is great

(the art of being present regardless of wandering thoughts)

- 7 habits of highly effective people
by Stephen R. Covey

(helps grow maturity hence growing a less busy more reliable mind)

- Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
by Russell Barkley

(Exelent resource, also has 8 habits for ADHD very helpful)

- Faith
I'm Christian so resting in Jesus is very liberating and empowering in every day life

Hope it helps

Stimulant medication supposidly works for 80% of people with ADHD/ADD and i’ve noticed a huge difference in my concentration and memory. Its different for everyone though. I find that using movement/fidgetting helps a lot with focus. I have a fidget cube and tangle toys that i use in one hand (while driving, talking, studying ect) and it really does work! If your reading or studying: use colour and big text. Do things in short intervals (10 mins work/5-10 break) and use rewards) I’m only just getting psychological help and strategies so thats all I have right now!  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance