Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

rimemariner29
Contributor

Lack of emotions

Does anyone suffer from lack of emotions.

I cant seem to feel anything these days. For example, I am hanging out with an attractive girl and I dont seem to feel anything. I like her and all but cant seem to connect on an emotional level. Could it be due to my medications or is it part of my mental illness. Thankfully I am not feeling depressed either so I am not really complaining.

Normally I did ask my psych but the next appointment is months away. Any ideas?

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Lack of emotions

Hi @rimemariner29

Welcome to the Forums!

Just a quick clarifying question that might help others respond to your post - have you changed your medication or dosage lately? We aren't able to speak about specific types of medication, but the reason I ask is because recent changes to medication may take a little while to settle down

Thanks   🙂

Nik

Hello @rimemariner29 I dont think we have "met" on the forums.

Lack of feelings could be meds and/or your specific MI related.... the "old blunted affect" chestnut.

I have the opposite problem too much emotion ... and responsiveness ... but I am struck about "feelings" being often related to romantic or sexual attractions ...

A lady introduced me to someone and nodded understanding saying that the world didnt move under my feet ... I am used to the rug being repeatedly torn from underneat me ... dont know much about earth-moving .. unless I start thinking geology ...

Apparently due to my history I dont get what everybody else seems to "get" about gender and relationship issues .. or maybe everyone has watched too much Hollywood. .. and my responses are ok ... I dont know.

Even the Dalai Lama gets compassion ... as non-gendered ...

My belief or hope is that feelings build up with positive experiences ... reinforcing desire to keep contact ... eventually leading to a loving relationship ....

I think you posted that you were working and had a diagniosis of schizophrenia. I hope that is going reasonably well.

Hi Rimemariner29,

Do you think its just with her or do you have inability to feel feelings with other people too?

For example,if you were to watch a movie are you able to perceive and understand the story line and emotions between two characters (in a love story for example)?

I did not want anybody to feel hurt or invalidated by my use of a technical description ... I am VERY SORRY.  I was trying to open up the discussion and certainly didnt mean anything personal. I was trying to take the technical term and pummel it a bit ...

I have pondered that phrase since my early 20s when I was told in a Repat hospital that my father had had schizophrenia before he died  ... it was one of the descriptors ... what does it mean ...

I am also working through my own bizarre complicated understanding of feelings from my own complex extreme trauam background ... maybe I was mocking myself a little bit for being confused about gender and romantic issues. I experienced double bind situations regarding feelings.

I agree that many people on schizophrenia spectrum are sensitive ... with those kind of statements from your parents ...  its amazing that you survived at all ... no nothing personal ...  I feel silly cos I am an old lady ... and I dont quite get dating ...and I hope that men and women can be friends and get along ... but it seems the dances that occur between the sexes are in stepts I dont quite get ...should understand that stuff by now ... but I dont really.

Please dont be upset ...I am just trying to relate ...

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom - did you mean for your post above to be on @Former-Member 's thread? Or I'm just going batty 🙂

You may be right. I responded to a post that showed up in my inbox ... then was confused when it didnt seque and then distracted. I'll try and get it sorted.  Woman Embarassed

Former-Member
Not applicable

All good 😍

Hi there, Thanks for the reply. My medication dosage have not changed. I am not going to dwell too much upon it though. It is what is.
Former-Member
Not applicable

-

-
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance