Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

need advice from the formites

I need the advice of people in the know in other words people who have studied with an mi. I have the opportunity to study again this year depending on my HECs debt etc. The thing is my pdoc thinks it is a bad thing that i am infact heading towards mania again ....  she is upping my meds which are fine I think they need to be upped to be honest.I think I am slightly manic atm which feels great :D. She has lowered my anti depressant ..... oh well see how that goes.

I suppose what I am asking is should I risk it?  Pdoc is worried study like I have envisanged will will stress me out and put me back in hospital. She has such a way of putting it too 'Locked away in a public hospital ....'. She said that every time someone has a breakdown like that a bit of their brain gets destroyed .... so what do I do?? do colouring in for the rest of my life or take a gamble on my little grey cells being able to cope with it .... I really don't knw wayt to do peaxx

24 REPLIES 24

Re: need advice from the formites

@Ant7  I need your advice my friend.x

@greenpea  I am afraid I cannot be much help as I have not studied since I finished my Apprenticeship. From my daughter's perspective she has bad anxiety and depression she started with studies last year and it was really good for her as it gave her something to focus on but I do get it would be different for you 💜

@Ant7  Having something to focuss on rather than my mi and kidults would be great and the degree would do that as it is pretty intensive even if I never got work from it it would be a great distraction for me. Plus part time is up to 10 years which is wonderful. Good to hear that your daughter is coping well with her studies :)x

Hey @greenpea   What I've done in the past is just start with 1 or 2 subjects.  I'm really p'd off on your behalf that you pdoc is so negative about it.  And to use the words 'locked away' is pretty outrageous for someone who is meant to be helping you on your road to recovery (my meaning for that is here : Recovery Model ).  So I'm saying go for it but start gently.  

Hope the new schedule of meds works out well for you.   In my case ad's make me manic so maybe reducing them will be good for you.

Take care friend xx

@eth  Hey eth yes she has low expectations of me lol in regards me becoming violent and manic again  etc but like you said one unit at a time,  Thank you for your support I really appreciate it. I will be starting in second trimester so that gives me heaps of time to get my thoughts together and let the uni know that I have a mi and will need support to get through the degree. But I really want this. It feels great to be passionate about something again. Love peax

I know that feeling @greenpea  and agree it feels like such a break through when it comes.  I've just found out I can do facillitation (of workshops etc) and community planning training in March with the disability alliance.  And then some more peer support training probably in May.  I feel so good about that, and it may even be that they are steps towards some actual paid work occasionally with them.  That would be so major for me.  Currently working on my resume with my peer mentor too.  It hasn't been updated for many years so it's a bit of a challenge but she is really encouraging about it.  Said 'we can make it look beautiful'.

Have a good day today.  Hanging on the Saturday Soiree - all welcome!!  if you want to come over xx

@eth  Keep me posted with how it all goes. I know you will do well. You have been working so hard for it to happen.. xxx

hi @greenpea
study is a tricky one for those with mi just because everydays abit like a lucky/unlucky dip. its just the nature of the beast so to speak.

I have done quite a few courses and have found it beneficial. these courses however have been short or more self paced. I have wanted to do a course that was bigger but right now I don't think its a good idea for me so when I feel up for studying or can afford it I check out another short course.

so I wonder if you could get your medications stable and then start with a short course? itll be like testing the waters to see how you handle a little more of the pressure, the workload and see how you feel while your doing them. theres often some pretty cheap or sometimes free if your on a pension through tafe that could be a good place to start.

@outlander  Hi outlander yes I thought I would pace myself through this course. I have till the middle of the year before it starts so that should give me time to settle into it.  You have achieved alot last year considering your health issues that you have been dealing with along with mi. I hope you feel very proud of yourself you should do. I will definitely get my medications under control as the last thing I want it another stint in hospital ......

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance