Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Home Away From Home// Tuesday 28th February 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

For me , too imagine moving to another country would be very different as I was born in Australia 

But to think of my ancestors who travelled here and what they went through 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Home Away From Home// Tuesday 28th February 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

Moving toward the end of the discussion now with our last question: What have been some of the biggest lessons you’ve taken from immigrating to Australia? What would you share with others going through a similar journey? @sagilove95 @amber22 @Shaz51 

To be open to new experiences! If I had been close minded about making such a big move, I would not have experienced half of the things that have taught me to love this country so much. Being open about new experiences has led me to fully immerse myself within a new country and create a new identity within a whole new world!  

As harsh as it may sound, if you’re drowning, learn how to swim. This was one of my biggest learnings moving alone. As much as I yearned for a community to fall back on, it did not exist. It tested my resilience and forced me to come out of my comfort zone. I am grateful for the friendships I have created here as well as kindness that I received from strangers It’s important to give people the benefit of doubt- I truly believe we’re all doing our best. Reaching out for help, taking myself on solo dates, being outdoors, saying yes more often to meet new people and just taking it one day at a time have been helpful. I also understand that others may not be as privilaged to be able to have access to certain supports & that experiences can vary. To anyone who has just moved to the land down under- I see you ❤️ Things may seem lonely & hard, but I promise it's get better. Take care of today and tomorrow will look after itself. You are a brave soul- take up space & shine! You are not alone. 

I meet a trainee doctor who came from south Africa to study in Australia, she found it hard. As she was the only one out of her family to come here 

Whad a good talk e 

Wow that must have been really challenging for her! @Shaz51 

My phone is starting to play up again 😒 

Oh no 😞 I hope it fixes itself soon! @Shaz51 

Sorry to hear @Shaz51 - hope you're enjoying an evening cuppa!

As we wrap up tonight’s discussion, I would like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who joined us this evening. A huge thanks especially to the one and only @sagilove95 for sharing so generously with us

& also to @amber22 for sharing your experiences so thoughtfully and all those who have joined us this evening: @Prosperity @Shaz51 @OscarJones 

If you’d like to keep the discussion going after this evening, feel free to head over to this thread. Otherwise, with that, we’ll end our conversation, however it will still be here to read back over in future if you would like. Thanks again everyone and take good care!  💖

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance