Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Apology

@Appleblossom, on further thought I've decided that having opinions that don't align with others just gets me into trouble. There's a pecking order, and it's unwise to challenge thinking.

I once had no opinions that I would offer, but he re- built me this way, and I now can't learn to keep my mouth shut quickly enough. He knows how to hold different opinions, but he certainly didn't teach me. He taught me to value my opinions when they were built on solid foundations, but always remain open to correction. My opinions have always been open to further consideration, but it seems that I just shouldn't have them.

It's just difficult when we are asked for an opinion on a study situation. Maybe I should just say ''I don't know".

Just can't win. 

Sorry you seem defeated by it @Historylover I encourage you to do your due diligence and let it rest.

Often a strong argument can seem convincing and people often get passionate about the issues.  Often having opinions could be seen as more "male", although that is no longer the case as women are better educated and successful in the world.  You might refelct back to the "he" . . but I only know you as you.  In that 'he' is history.

To be without thought and thinking or opinions is not always good.  Life demands that we think about it. Some opinions are constructed from rationality but usually there are elements of our own experiences that colour our opinions.  There was a time when I was busy and happy enough to get average grades, my whole being was not tied to academic success.  It was more get the job done.  Find your own way ...

Yes, @Appleblossom, I think I'll just do my best and not fret about it. I don't care about grades anymore. Stuff it. I'll just get it done.

I think I trod into a very delicate area of race relations, have been seriously misinterpreted and cannot reduce hostilities now, including my own. I thought my lengthy affiliation with the Aboriginal cause would be obvious. I'm just angry.

I must admit I am thoroughly enjoying putting this PowerPoint presentation together. It's been emotional going through all of these statistics and reports. I'd hate to be an Aboriginal person reading these historical articles and statistics. It's so harrowing, I have felt nauseous at times. It is hard to believe we are talking about the hunting down and shooting of human beings. 

Currently, I am trying to figure out how to cite online pictures etc. in my presentation. Trying to figure if I verbally cite as in 'Bates suggests...' or is it only the illustrations? I've been trying to figure it all out myself. Asking questions is all a matter of correct timing, and I'm already unpopular (so are they). I have asked on our student forum, but I don't know when it will be answered. I'll just tread cautiously, very cautiously. I'll get there. 

I started out badly by saying that Aboriginal people had not been classified as flora and fauna, that it was urban myth which had gained traction. A number of my classmates were repeating it and I think it is important to be factual, after all every claim in an essay has to be referenced to support accuracy. Even Marcia Langton has discounted the assertion. My need to correct misconceptions so that truth only goes forward is clearly annoying to my teachers. I hope they disregard any inaccuracies in my work by the same token, too. As you can see, I'm really peeved. The replies I got were astonishing. One teacher blinded me with science, and the other also took exception. There were absolutely no grounds for doing so. I was right. I just shook my head in bewilderment at their sensitivity. There seems no way to politely disagree with anything or open up any discussion. Just agree.

Plodding on. I hope you've had a good day.

@Historylover 

You said:

"I think I trod into a very delicate area of race relations, have been seriously misinterpreted and cannot reduce hostilities now, including my own. I thought my lengthy affiliation with the Aboriginal cause would be obvious."

Me too. Yep!

I feel very similarly.  I always sided with aboriginal causes and never sided with any colonial project or celebrated Australia Day.  I have been distressed by the current escalation of hostilities and the range of factions.  I cannot see it helping anybody's cause, just ending up with people hiding behind assertions and attacks.  Not moving towards reconciliation.  

That abstract you posted jumped into the "lie" attack.  I am now turned off by accusations of lies, lack of acknowledgment about the hybrid or cross cultural positive realities I have witnessed, amid overgeneralisations about so called 'settlers'. I see a lot jumping onto imported B&W dichotomies that do not ring true for me at all. Certain types play it as a game. I am stepping back from involvement. Standing taller for my own culture with its complexities, Cultures are complex.  Happy to share and have Big Respect.   It is sad if people cannot drop the rage. I know there is a place for legitimate anger, but some people fuel it. Better not say more. 

Just a quick reply, @Appleblossom. Regarding people getting into the hostile zone–how on earth do we reconcile if this happens so easily, and is unrecoverable? I'M offended! I understand the delicacy, but if we all have to walk on eggshells, that makes things very difficult. 

Yep @Historylover  and too much walking on eggshells might lead to problems later.  I am really tired and sad about it all.  I had more hope for humanity.  'I'm offended'  can be pretty immature, all depends on circs. I just try and put my energy into the directions I believe are good.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance