Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Barbara05
Casual Contributor

Where has the enjoyment of life gone?

Where to start? I feel completely disconnected from life. There is absolutely no joy in anything. My previous things I liked to do have disappeared. I feel my quality of life is nothing. I have been feeling this way for over a week and I don’t know what to do. My medication doesn’t work and I have just found out I have ‘treatment resistant depression’. I am lost and alone and my family doesn’t understand or want to know.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Where has the enjoyment of life gone?

Hi @Barbara05 

Welcome to the Sane forums.

I'm sorry things are so hard at the moment and life isn't bringing you any joy.

It certainly is hard when we feel that way and don't have support around us.

Do you see a psych or gp at all?

Please know that you are not alone on here. Always people to talk too.

Hi @Barbara05 

Sorry to hear you're feeling so low. 

I have to say that I loathe the term 'treatment resistant depression' as it implies that you are the problem. It just makes you feel awful and that you are to blame and to do that does nothing to help in your recovery. I prefer to think that you just haven't found something that works yet. Put it back on the treatment and not yourself! Basically, I feel it's a very clinical term and that there is definitely something out there that will work for you to feel better. It's true, meds may not work for everyone but there are other treatments. Do you have a psychologist or counsellor who you see? Besides meds do you have some strategies in place to help support you such as meditation, mindfulness practice, activities etc?

Warmest hugs to you

Hanami

Hi, I have both a psych and a GP but I feel I’m in the ‘too hard basket’ and not listened to.

Hi, I have a psychologist and a GP but feel I’m in the ‘too hard basket’ and not listened to. My previous hobbies no longer give me joy and the profound fatigue stops me from enjoying anything. Thank you for your hug.

Hi @Barbara05 I have felt the same at

times. Zero enjoyment for things I used to love.  It’s kinda scary.  But at the moment I’m enjoying things again so I’m confident it’s treatable for you too.  

The trick is figuring out what works. It might be a couple of things.  For me, my job is a major source of either satisfaction or misery.  Not surprising given we spend most of our life at work!  

Aside from that, relationships matter, hobbies and leisure matters, exercise matters, seeing a psych or finding medication that works can help.  

Sometimes it takes a long time to figure out what works, how to live your life in a way that has meaning and joy for you.  Be patient and try to figure out what your body and mind need.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance