Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

eth
Community Elder

New psychologist - hard day

I'm starting with a new psychologist in 2 hours.  Over the course of the afternoon my head has been getting busier and busier with things I've been through (traumas) and issues I've found it hard to manage last few years (anxiety and depression compounded by CPTSD, bipolar 1 and social phobia).  Wishing I had a trusted person to come with me but there's no-one for me here in Darwin.  I won't cancel or postpone it as I know I need it but am anxious as to what her approach with me will be.  Last psychologist I saw spent the whole time doing mindfulness techniques which can be good but very hard to do when I'm really agitated and hyper, and there was little to no counselling/talk therapy.  And my psychiatrist is wholly focused on medication management and preventing the hyper phases of bipolar, not addressing any of the other issues.  I have told a member of my family about all of this but they live in another state and also have limited experience to support me effectively (not their fault, just the reality at my end).  Could really do with some support just now.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: New psychologist - hard day

Hi @eth 

Firstly, welcome to the forums. My hope is that you will find some really good supportive people here that can offer you some practical advice and kind words.

Starting with a new psychologist can be rather daunting, I agree. And it's normal that you have all these things running through your head - but I actually see this as a strength of yours, to be honest.

You obviously want to get things as "right" as you can, and you are showing me that you are doing what you can in order to get this done. To me, this shows a lot of concienciousness and perservearance. Excellent things to have!!

While it's good that you can ring your family, it must be hard that no one can come along with you.

Perhaps you could tell the psychologist that you have come onto these forums (which shows a desire to find help) and also tell them the stuff I said above. Say that you were told that you have strengths and would like to work on that.

The thing is - just remember it's YOU that is important here. And I want to invite some other forum members onto this conversation to offer you some kind words as well - @PeppiPatty @kristin @kato @Former-Member @Alessandra1992 

You have friends here @eth - we all support each other, the way it's meant to be.

Hobbit.

Thankyou @Hobbit

@eth 

Hey eth,

New psychologist's can be daunting, every time i start with someone new i get frazzled before hand, and work myself up into quite a state, it sounds like you do similar, what i have always found to help, well for me, i put some music on, calming music, something not too upbeat or to low, to help use the noise to calm me down, and then i will write a list of what is bouncing around in my head, i try not too overthink the list too much, just sort of jot down some pointer's that stand out.

When i go in i usually, tell them straight up that i am quite anxious about starting with someone new, and if we can take things slow, usually gets a good response and ease into it that way

Hope this maybe helps 🙂

BTW i am stalling on seeing a new psychiatrist so i am trying to get over my first hurdle which is booking an appointment..... i am hoping to do that tomorrow

Thanks people.  It went pretty well after all and tonight I am feeling hopeful for the first time in ages.  She has experience working with bipolar and trauma recovery which is good.  And with the Mental Health Care Plan referral from the GP I get 10 sessions bulk billed.  Yay!  Your responses before I went really helped me settle down before I went so thanks again.

@Hobbit I did what you suggested and she agreed with you 🙂

Hi @eth 

Welcome to the forums, you will find lots of support here. I can relate to the anxiousness of seeing a psychologist for the first time. Its so nervewracking! I would say that if you dont like or feel comfortable with their approach to therapy after a few sessions that you change if you can. But that is easier said than done i think! I am still nervous before seeing my psych each time.. after 2 years of seeing her!

Really hope your appt went well and that you find a great connection with the psychologist.

LJ

Great advice @Former-Member !!!!

I always say, you would not go back to a hairdresser that didn't work well for you, so why go back to a psychologist who didn't work for you! Find someone that you feel comfortable with and trust!

Outlanderali

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance