Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday//BOTH FORUMS// Creative expression and our wellbeing! // Tues 28 July 7- 8 30pm AEST featuring Special Guest Artist from the DAX Cen

Because engaging in creativity can be so many different things, my suggestion would be to start with what’s available to you – if it’s at home, why not put on some music and use your body as the conduit for expression.

Or if you feel drawn to cooking, why not think of someone and create a special dish for them (you can send them a pic! What a lovely gesture!), if you want to start a drawing practice, doodling or mandala drawing is a lovely way to start, you just need a surface (paper, cardboard, whatever’s around!) and a pen, pencil, crayon.. it’s very intuitive there’s no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’, and for me it’s a great way to switch off my overthinking mind and I find it very soothing.. almost meditative

If you’re still not sure where to start, at The Dax Centre at the moment we have a prepared a series of online art-making activities hosted by four Australian artists from a variety of artistic disciplines exploring the connection between art, wellbeing and mental health.⁠ Each activity is posted on the Dax Centre’s social media (facebook and insta) as well as on the website. These art-making videos are available for you to watch in your own time and are designed to inspire you to explore your creativity from the comfort and safety of your home 🙂

The art-making videos are available to view on our social media - search for @daxcentre 

and on our website https://www.daxcentre.org/daxathome/studio-dax-online/

There’s four in the series, the second one will be released tomorrow Wednesday 29th of July! 🤗

Re: Topic Tuesday//BOTH FORUMS// Creative expression and our wellbeing! // Tues 28 July 7- 8 30pm AEST featuring Special Guest Artist from the DAX Cen

I love imagining that you might start dancing @Peonies. It too is an addictive pastime.

I'm getting creative at home by using what I have around me. For me, that means plenty of yarn for making blankets, beanies and knitting needles. I also have colouring items such as paper, pens, textas and pencils. Notebooks are in supply with me due to uni studying so that's where I can get back into journaling and I have my phone with internet connection to take photos or find images on the internet to write about them. 

I had a real slump and lost my gardening mojo when Mr Darcy was in an acute phase with his mental health. It was only when he got past this phase and was keen to get our place tidied up that I forced myself to go out into the garden with him and gradually the joy returned. Since moving to our new place and with better coping skills in place, this far with Mr Darcy having a different potentially terminal condition I still enjoy getting out in the garden ... just have to watch the budget and pace myself with plant purchases.104763506_10158734551523570_2740042475243756203_n.jpg

@Former-Member power to you! Make this world beautiful with gardening.

@Judi9877 my grandmother knitted her entire life, and kept off dementia in the process! Its such a relaxing pasttime and great for exercising the mind!

Thank you everyone for sharing your tips on how we can engage in creative expression at home! 

It’s that time of the night now everyone- we will finish off soon. I would like to leave one final question for you to think about-- What is one key take-away for you from tonight’s discussion?

A very big thank you to both of our special guests from the DAX Centre for participating in tonight’s discussion as well as to everyone for getting involved tonight. You have all shared such wonderful insights and experience with being creative ! For further information about the DAX Centre, please check out the links @paintingallday  have provided above. 

I will leave the thread open until tomorrow morning for any last discussions. Have a nice night everyone 😊

Hi @Renegade . Both my mum and grandmother knitted - both passed on- so I've inherited their love of the craft from them. My mum used to knit my twin and I jumpers as kids and they were so special to me. I knit for myself, friends and charity and I find it helps with my mental health immensely.

Thanks so much for inviting me to join in on this discussion @Peonies 

I've loved sharing ideas about creativity and getting a sense of what you are all doing at your homes.

I wish you all the courage you need to be your beautiful selves in creating what your heart desires. May your bodies enjoy lots of different ways of dancing through your life.

Thank you @Renegade@paintingallday@Peonies , @JIT for tonight

@paintingallday, ha ha I do that with cooking Smiley Very Happy

I love cooking new things and sharing with others

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance