Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday//BOTH FORUMS// Creative expression and our wellbeing! // Tues 28 July 7- 8 30pm AEST featuring Special Guest Artist from the DAX Cen

I believe it @Judi9877. Keep it up! This evening I'm wearing a jumper that my grandmother knitted for my mother many decades ago. Its a lovely legacy to pass on.

Re: Topic Tuesday//BOTH FORUMS// Creative expression and our wellbeing! // Tues 28 July 7- 8 30pm AEST featuring Special Guest Artist from the DAX Cen

I guess what I was saying was that for myself stress blocked creativity and learning how to better manage stress helped my creativity return.   

@Former-Member  this one's for you 

images - 2020-07-28T200615.745.jpeg

Lovely chatting with you all, and thank you for sharing!

I get so much joy from engaging in art-making, i hope @Renegade and I may have inspired you to discover a creative outlet if you are new to it, or if you have one to feel reaffirmed to continue to make time for it as part of your self-care 🙂

If you want to participate in other discussions around art and crafts on the forums, you can also check out the Craft Corner started by @CheerBear and Inspirational Arts and Craft started by @Teej 🌻 

Hi everyone @Peonies @Renegade @paintingallday @JIT  (and welcome)  @Former-Member @outlander @Mariposa @Maggie @Shaz51 @Judi9877 @Snowie  and anyone else here tonight.  I've just read the discussion so far and it's fabulous.  Lots of great ideas and inspirations.

For me creativity takes the form of colouring mandalas, writing, and cooking to share with others.  But I've recently done some online classes in watercolour and acrylic painting and geometric mandalas which I enjoyed.  My main medium is my writing, both journalling and writing poems and short stories.  For me I know that when my creativity is really flowing I lose all sense of time - go into a timeless zone where my words just flow through me or the colours appear on a page without me having to try or think about it.  

The impacts on my mental health are multiple.  There's just the act of doing it taking my focus off my mh challenges, and allowing myself to express myself without feeling scrutinised by anyone, just let my words flow.  The way it helps me piece together some of the events during bipolar and post-trauma episodes in the past and even sometimes find the humour in 20:20 hindsight.  Then there's the feeling since I started doing live readings and entering my work to competitions and sharing in writers groups (I'm in 3) that I may actually have something to offer an audience, that I can contribute something to the world.  That even tho' I primarily write for myself, others can take something away from my work.  That's huge and really good for my self-esteem and self-worth.  Especially when I won a couple of prizes.  Had to overcome a huge fear of judgment that still rears it's head at times, but less often.

Challenges - well most of my life (I'm 57) most of my writing was done during manic or hypomanic times (tho' I didn't know I had bipolar til I was 46, it's clear looking back).  So 2 years ago I realised I was really missing writing since I became much more stable and I set myself the challenge to start writing again without getting hyper.   I'm still learning how to listen to the words that come from within me without putting any 'have to's' onto it, how to be in touch with my muse, so to speak.  The best writing I do is when it just comes to me, without effort.  So things like being outside in nature, either in the garden, at the beach, or up at a farm where I have the use of a wee caravan, listening to music, dancing ....  Literally putting myself in an environment where I can hear my own thoughts without any interference.

The challenge I want to work through is to be able to create characters, write more than confessional works, and create fiction.  

Re :  getting started ... someone said 'If you want to be a writer you have to write'!  So even if it's only a few dot points about my day, I have been writing every day since mid-March when covid social distancing started.  Not trying to turn it into 'a piece' but just free flow writing - I call it splurging.

I've spent so long raving here there are probably some more questions posed by now.  Thanks for making this discussion happen folks.

Thank you for this tonight @Peonies  I just wish I’d seen it sooner. I’ll be more observant next time 😊🦋

Re: writing as a form of therapy  is another great thread if you're into words as your form of expression.

Takeaway message @Peonies 

I need a meme maker 😁

images - 2020-07-28T201726.483.jpeg

My takeaway is to listen to my body and let it move with freedom... be it dancing, a little skip while I walk the dog, painting rocks or altering clothes... Silence the critic and let go.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance